Shingles Community
Fever and Fatigue

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

Fever and Fatigue

I'm if this is a repeated question as I am still trying to get the hang of using this forum. I did ask this question in other postings but in different communities. I am posting now in this shingles community because I feel that it should go here if I change the subject to shingles. Anyway, I apologize if I am incorrect.

I have had fever and fatigue off and on for a little over 3 weeks. The fever can range from 99.0 - 99.9. Some days I feel fine with no fever and some days I feel very fatigued and have that mild fever. I have been under a lot of stress and anxiety lately. More than normal. I was wondering if this could be from shingles? I have been diagnosed with shingles without the rash a few years back and am starting to wonder if its happening again. I do get slight headaches here and there. In the past 3 weeks there were maybe a couple of occasions when the headaches were pretty bad. The first time I got diagnosed with the shingles without the rash I had really bad headaches.

Anyway, if you have any idea what may be causing these symptoms, please let me know. I'm also thinking if anxiety and stress can cause these symptoms as well. Not to mention everyone at work and at home seem to be getting sick but the only problem is, they are congested with whatever they seem to have whereas I am not. I only got the mild fever, fatigue, and headaches and its only sometimes. Some days I am fine with no fever or fatigue or headache. Then it just comes right back. I can go a couple days of feeling fine then a couple days feel lousy.

Thanks for reading.
Hey Jimmy, I too have had shingles...it *****. Usually people do not get it twice though so I don't think you have to worry about that too much. Headache and fever usually is not a sign or symptom of shingles but rather a side affect of the medicine which is prescribed for it. If it's been three weeks than I believe it is out of question.

Shingles includes on a rough 10 day list:

Days 1-2: Itching + Mild Pain in area.
Day 3: Small rash appears.
Days 4-6: Rash grows, pain worsens, itching is mild.
Days 7-8: Rash grows intensely, pain slows down due to medicine, new rashes will still appear and spread through nerve line, itching begins to get worse again, blistering on older rashes and darker red spots occur due to scabbing and crusting.
Day 9: Itching will still happen, rash will scab over a lot and crust in areas.
Day 10: Most of the scabbing should be done and within another week it should fade away. Pain will be very mild for about 3-4 weeks and no itching should occur (if it does than don't worry, make sure you do not scratch it)

If it is shingles though, remember, do not scratch it! If it is desperate to be scratched, pat it or rub it. Make sure to wash your hands as much as possible. Stay away from pregnant women, babies, other persons that have not had chicken pox. If they have had chicken pox it is not 100% that they will get chicken pox because shingles is not contagious when it is healing (crusted or scabbed) but if blisters are present it is a possibility. Do not go in ponds, lakes, dirt, grass, etc to avoid infections. It is best to stay out of chlorine just to be safe. Public swimming pools are bad. Salt water is okay and will actually make the healing process better but avoid getting sand on your shingles. Hopefully any tattoos you may have is away from your shingles.

Take your medicine religiously, try not to miss any!

Days 1-2: Itching + Mild Pain in area.
Day 3: Small rash appears.

Wow that was an awesome reply. Thank you so much for all that info. Very detailed. So you think I may have something else besides shingles? I was diagnosed with shingles a few years back but it was the one with out the rash and blistering. It was in my head. I was getting severe headaches like lightning was shocking my head, best way I can describe it.