Shingles Community
Herpes Zonder

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

Herpes Zonder

I met a girl that told me she  is having Herpes Zonder.
She said she might had been infected at her work place.
She explain me about the chicken pox relation.
Till now we have avoided any kind of touch.

I want to know the risk of being infected - thru touch or sexual intercourse.
When can I know there is no risk being infected, and how -by Herpes Zonder or chicken pox.
This topic is not an STD question. But I don't know how to transfer you to infectious diseases or general health so I'll answer the question. Have you had chicken pox? If so you can't get it from her because you are immune. You can make sure by having your antibodies tested if you want to. Otherwise, if you haven't had chicken pox,  see below.

Shingles cannot be passed from one person to another. However, the virus that causes shingles, the varicella zoster virus, can be spread from a person with shingles to a person who has never had chickenpox. So if you never had chicken pox the person exposed to the virus might develop chickenpox, but they would not develop shingles. The virus is spread through direct contact with fluid from the rash blisters, not through sneezing, coughing or casual contact.

A person with shingles can spread the virus when the rash is in the blister phase.. A person is not infectious before blisters appear. Once the rash has developed crusts, the person is no longer contagious.

Shingles is less contagious than chickenpox and the risk of a person with shingles spreading the virus is low if the rash is covered.
For the person that  has shingles tell her:
•Keep the rash covered.
•Do not touch or scratch the rash.
•Wash your hands often to prevent the spread of varicella zoster virus.
•Until your rash has developed crusts, avoid contact with ◦pregnant women who have never had chickenpox or the varicella vaccine;
◦premature or low birth weight infants; and
◦immunocompromised persons (such as persons receiving immunosuppressive medications or undergoing chemotherapy, organ transplant recipients, and people with HIV infection).

This was partly taken from the CDC website.

If I were you I would see if your chicken pox antibodies still say that you are immune. If she covers the rash touch should be ok or kissing. But sexual intercourse you might rub the rash so I would be sure you are immune or wait until the rash becomes crusty or disappears then you should be ok. You would acquire chicken pox not Herpes zoster. If  you get chicken pox, which most people have by the time they are an adult ,but not all,  when you are age 50 or above you could get Herpes zoster. Now there is a vaccine for Herpes zoster that you can get at age 50. But it is only about 50% effective.
mkh9