Shingles Community
Is the commercial right?

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

Is the commercial right?

I had chicken pox as a kid. There's a commercial that says I might get shingles. What are my chances? Anything I can do to prevent it?
There is a vaccination but my doctor told me that vitamin D was better and to make sure I had enough of it. I don't know what the chances of contracting it are, but I am 83 and haven't had it. However, I eat well and take vitamin D.
I am disturbed about TV commercials recommending medicines or procedures that can only be had by going to a doctor. We are being made to serve as drug producer/doctor go-between. Until relatively recently manufacturers of prescription medications were not allowed to advertise to the general public. And the ads can be misleading.