Shingles Community
Post shingles pain

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

Post shingles pain

My husband had shingles in Oct. 2009 and has been in debilitating pain ever since. He had a rash on top of his head and a small breakout in the corner of his left eye. But he had horrible skin pain around his waist and could not stand to have anything touch his skin for several months, but as time went on he developed severe pain in his lower back down his right leg to his knee with muscle weakness which eventually caused paralysis and he kept falling and started using a cane. Then after that, the severe pain went to his left side down his leg to his knee. Both his legs now are very weak. he was finally diagnosed with permanent nerve damage, but because he's also a diabetic that's what the Neurologist said the damage is caused from. I know Diabetic Neuropothy and this is not it! He never had any problems like this until he had Shingles. and his PCP said it's not but no one is doing anything to find out. He's going to a pain management clinic and take Lyrica along with 500mg Hydrocodone and after 3 months he is able to get around a little better, but none of it is making a difference because I don't think he has been properly diagnosed. The pain and muscle loss has left him disabled. My husband is only 50 and I worry that he will not get better and the nerve damage will progress. Can anyone give me some idea where to turn or what tests to ask for which could  identify this as a post shingles condition....Please help.
I sympathise ........ I had shingles down my right leg 4 years ago and still suffer from PNP.   My leg is numb and extremely painful if it touches anything.   I have heard that some tests are being carried out to relieve this pain but to date nothing concrete has emerged.
I have shingles at the moment and have the pain from my left side of my neck down to my collar bone into my shoulder and down my left arm, I feel like I have dead arm. I can't use my left arm very much and it's worrying me terribly. This is the second time I have had shingles, the last time was 3 years ago but was on my torso, and never made my limbs sore at all. This is the second week off work, and I'm casual so I'm a bit worried about my job. I'm on lyric small dose and panadine forte but that isn't good for the stomach. Will this ever stop.

Week 5 and I'm wanting to pull my hair out.Lyrica,oxyc-neo,percocets.Nothing helps the pain.Right arm now tingling and numb.I.m thinking of stopping all meds and trying somthing different.Any ideas.