Shingles Community
Reoccuring Shingles?

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

Reoccuring Shingles?

Has anyone here ever had reoccurring shingles? Everyone that I've spoken to has told me that shingles don't reoccur but I get blisters on my body just about every three months and they're diagnosed as Shingles.
yes i have had mine flare up several times ..and am currently worried about some pain on the side of my nose ...i wish i had a dr. that knew a little more about shingles as I have lately all-so had eye pain
Yes it is absolutely possible, especially if you first had chicken pox late in life.
However, it will also mean that your immune system is very very weak. Do start to change your lifestyle, like eating more fruits and vegetables, more exercise, cut down on sugar. If you are under constant stress, your body is more prone to outbreaks too. Change your job if you have to, and take things easy (easier said than done, I know). I quitted my job because my body suffered a great deal from the stress it gave me. Nothing is more important than your health, trust me.
Thanks for your input. I keep hearing from the experts on the forum that it's very rare for it to reoccur. yes, I'm easily stressed and i know for sure i have a weak immune system because i have a list of health problems.
just read your comment reg shingles...back in 2005 i was hiking in the woods when i first felt a stinging pain on my forehead hairline(left side).  got home...very tired..looked in mirror and could not see anything unusual..next day was a rash about the size of a quarter in the hairline of my forehead...very tired...thought i might have got bitten by something in the woods...washed it and put hydrogen peroxide and neosporin on it..next went to dr b/c it got worse(painful)  misdiagnosed by dr as infection from bugbites?  took antibiotics..felt a little better...noticed  watching tv that something sometimes looked weird(blurry)  woke up next day with dull achy pain in left eye(eye looked sick...dull pinkish, droopyish) went back to dr and was reevaluated with possible herpes zoster of the eye(shingles in the eye).....LONG STORY...but went back home to nj(was on vac in adirondacks)  got to a specialist and was put on valtrex for the rest of my life(i ended up having some corneal damage) but really lucky i did not go blind...also i still need to take a steroid drop once per day...so i advise you to go to a really good dr and opthamologist that specializes in singles in the eyes ...asap...by the way ,,i never had any other rash on my body...just my forehead..then went straight to my eye...so i knew about other people who had shingles and they say it usually starts with a rash on your torso or back or arm...so i did not once think of shingles....hope this helps you and maybe some others
Hey. Have you asked for a swab test on your re-occuring shingles?...
Just might be an idea to check that it is actually that. I had the same thing, kept coming back on my arm... just an itchy rash ..and it was the coldsore virus in the end.

No not yet. It's actually been a while since i got the blisters. I had a really bad reaction in Feb where there were stripped like blisters all over my body and it hurt so bad to move. When I went to the doctor the diagnosed it as Shingles. they haven't done a swab test though but I do know i have the cold sore virus, I have to play a wait and see game because next time I get them my immunologist wants to swab them because he finds it rare (along with the med docs on this site) for shingles to reoccur.
I started out with blister that were diagnosed as a fungus for many years, but have now been diagnosed by 2 doctors (by swab test) to be shingles. almost 20 years later...I get them constantly. I did go through a period of time that as soon as one was well another came up...all in the same general area. I have found eating a more vegetable/fruit based diet makes them come less. There is a vaccination that can be taken if you have not had shingles for 6 months. My doctor put me Valtrex twice for 6 months and each time before I could get back to them for the shot...I had shingles again. I am now going to try a plant based diet (hacres.com) so I don't have to do any meds.
Yes, I just turned 28 5 days ago and broke out again. Always in the same area but diff spots. On my tail bone this time:( Very painful hurts to walk or stand. But I started breaking out with shingles when I was 22 and it hasn't stopped ever since.. although the number of breakouts a yr decreased. Only break out every 6 months now vs every other month and at one point it was so bad I jst kept breaking out every week almost on top of each other, but that was a few yrs back now. Only explanation I've gotten from the doctors is stress and poor diet. Yet they treat me like I'm a freak or something. Gets pretty discouraging some times. But just have to remember it could always be worse :) Be Strong!