Shingles Community
Shingles and HIV

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

Shingles and HIV

I have a question regarding my Hiv status.

I had an sexual unprotected with a woman whom I met on a day and she looked healthy.It was in the year 1999. Also I had multiple unprotected sex with my girl friend( who is ex now) in the year 2001. I enquire about my ex girl friend and she seems to be happily married and having a 2 year old kid.(Not sure if she tested or not).

After that I married in 2002 and have a 7 years old kid. My wife and kid doesn't have any symptoms. But in Novemebr 2012, I'm suffered with a rash blister and i visited Dermatologist and doctor did the visual examination and confirmed that it is Shingles and prescribed me valacyclovir tablets for a week (3 per day). It got healed without any issues. Doctor told me it may be due to stress. I was little stressed during that time due to the my Job move and not liking the new Job.. But not sure that causes herpes Zoster/shingles.

I was going thru internet and found that Herpes Zoster is initial or 3 rd stage of HIV. So I'm so scared to test it. I just wanted to know if I'm still infected with HIV after 13 years of encounter. Apart from Herpes Zoster, I felt like I lost 4 Lbs (I was 170 LBs and now 166).. I'm not really sure abt the weight as I checked on digital and needle scales.. Needle scale shows 171 and digital shows 166. Apart from that I dont ahve any other symptoms after Herpes Zoster Attack. So I just wanted to know if still need to be worried about HIV.

Also I read some forums that Flushot can also cause shingles. I had a flushot on Nov 1st 2012 and I got the shingles 3 weeks after.

Please doctor help me I'm freaking out. Do I need to go for HIV test?. Dermatologist didnot suggest any further tests but I'm concerned with the encouters I had prior to the marriage especially 1999 encounter.
If you had Hiv, your child would have been sick long ago. You need not worry. Herpe can be treated with zovirax pills or on lips, zovirax cream.
Thank you. I have also tested with OraQuick and it came negative. But I would like to know if I can rely on the result. Just wanted to make sure if Oraquick home test result is as accurate as Blood tests. or If I need to go thru the blood tests as well

Thanks,
Praneeth