Shingles Community
Shingles at young age

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

Shingles at young age

Hello everyone,
I have suddenly developed shingles that confirmed by ER doctor by just looking at the rash. Right now, I'm ok and have no pain. However, I'm under extreme stress that shingles could be related to underlying disease such sa HIV, cancer, etc.
1- How common that people around  my age (24 years old) to get shingles?
2- Is shingles related to stress, anxiety, and depression? I was under a lot of stress and anxiety, and developed this shingles after 4-6 days from being shocked by some family problems and fighting with my older brother.
3- Is it sign of disease?

I will be happy, if you can answer my questions
Tags: shingles, at young age, young, young age, Depression, stress, HIV
From what I've read, it can be a sign of another disease that weakens your immune system, however I doubt it.  Stress can also be the cause.  I'm 38 and currently suffering from Shingles.  I've been stressed out about some stuff in my personal life for the past 2 months, so I'm confident that's what caused it.

My younger sister recalls a school mate getting shingles in middle school.  So if I were you, I would not be too worried about cancer or HIV.  Right now, concentrate on getting over Shingles.

I'm assuming you were prescribed an antiviral.  Make sure you take that.  My step mother is a medical doctor and also recommended that I take L-Lysine, and a B-Complex vitamin... both are very good at boosting the immune system.  the L-Lysine dosage should be 500mg 5 times per day.

I've also independently decided to take vitamin c since that's always good in your fight against viruses.

I've also read that baby powder can help dry out the rash and speed it along to the scabbing over stage.

And of course, try to rest up... keep it clean and covered in a loose fitting, light colored t-shirt.

I hope you feel better.  Shingles *****! :-)
Thanks for your replay.
I got shingles one year ago, and this shingles threw me in new stress and anxiety that I have HIV. Even though, I never had any sexual activities(no sex at all beside only one time had nude bodyrub (massage) by a call girl which made feel guilty all the time. So, After 3 months from this massage, I decided to get tesed for HIV and Hepatitis, all test came negative. I was happy with results untile I developed shingles after one year from this massage. Also, shingles happened after 4 days from a strong fight with my older brother :(

My life style is not healthy at all, I rarely eat vegetables or fruits, not any doing exercises, not drinking enough water, and smoking hookah everyday :( I don't even play any sport, and sleep less then 4-5 hours during weekdays.    

Sorry for sharing a long story with you, but it might the answers for the shingles questions.

I hope you feel better :)
I'm 16 and just recovered from shingles it has nothing to do with HIV it's a weakening in you immune system from the chicken pox disease you should be fine after you get your rash under control
Thanks Megheren for sharing your story with me, yes, I believe it's no thing to do with HIV, as many I have visited doctors say. But, they do not the cause of shingles!! and they to not worry about it. Also, I have some blood tests which came normal.

Did doctor recommends any further testing?
Any idea in how to prevent further?

Stay well,