Shingles Community
Shingles more than once?

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

Shingles more than once?

A year or more ago I had intense itching, no rash. Then a rash broke out on my right side, spread all the way from belly button to spine. Irritating as heck,  felt like hundreds of tiny needles pricking me. Not exactly painful. Went to doctor, she said it was shingles.

Now I'm having similar feeling on left side but lower: groin, up over hip and to the back. No rash yet, just that needle pricking sensation non-stop. It's been 2 days, will wait and see if a rash shows up.

What are the odds of getting shingles twice? I'm still not sure the first time was shingles since I didn't have the "pain" that is often mentioned.
It sounds like you did have shingles a year ago - internal shingles yes they

do exist, Now you have them again and yes it is possible for them to reoccur
(see carolt post), Try to keep warm and boost your immune system.
Thanks. Today I have a slight fever which I've read is common just before the rash breaks out. The sooner this is over, the happier I'll be. Again, not painful like the TV commercials portray but the constant needle pricking sensations are a bit irritating. Last night I took a half dose of Benedryl to see if it would help with the itching. It knocked me out and I slept well. I guess that's an improvement.  LOL
Sent an email to my doctor (we're allowed to do that) as an FYI that my shingles looking rash is back. Just wanted it noted in my file. She insisted I come in. Odds of shingles second time round is about 2% she said. Plus it's on the opposite side. Shoot. Now I'm on acyclovir and have an dermatology appt. Not sure how long it takes for the med to help but nothing yet (48 hours). I should have ignored it like I planned. I'm confident it will go away.
I wish I could show your doctor all my shingles scars. In truth most times shingles do  and move side to side. They only usually break out on one side of the body at a time and may be at different areas. Personally I never got any relief from any treatment I just learned to live with the itching and pain. Follow your heart wait to see another doctor for awhile if you want to.  Just be sure to stay realistic and realize everyone is different. Oh and keep warm it helps the pain.
That's the deal - I don't have "pain." I have intense itching, like little needles poking me but I wouldn't call it pain. That's why they question what I have. To me pain is childbirth (been there 3 times) or slamming a car door on your hand or the time I had diverticulitis. This is just annoying and makes me edgy.

I do have an appt. with the dermatologist. We'll see what he says. I haven't had much success with them over the years. They usually can't figure things out.
I'm sorry you are having such a tough time with it. Have you tried B Complex vitamins and sublingual B12. The B vitamins are helpful to the nervous system but B12 breaks down in the stomach so that is why you have to take SL form and let it melt under your tongue where it can be absorbed.  These vitamins will also help the edginess.  The needle-like sensation is due to the inflamed nerve endings that are affected by the virus.  I know the itching is bad, been there. Benadryl helped me but it does cause drowsiness, Target sells a chewable low dose Benadryl under their generic brand (diphenhydramine) and it seems to help a lot without much drowsiness,   I wish you luck at the dr.
Thanks, I'm sure I'll be fine. Recently at my checkup it showed my D and  B12 levels were extremely low. I'm on a prescription vit D (never knew there was such a thing) and a large dose of B12 (not sublingual). Been on those for about 3-4 weeks now. I have taken children's Benedryl. It knocks me out so at least I don't feel the itching. LOL

I'll see the derm. at the end of the month. It will be interesting to see what he thinks. Years ago I had a rash (not quite like this) and the doc told me to do transcendental meditation because he thought I was stressed about being newly married and sexually active now. LOL  I never went back to him.
I also had low vit D levels and needed prescription D, Now I  take OTC vitamin D3,  I'm not sure why you are taking oral B12 as only shots and SLreally work. Drs are so stupid sometimes, however, after 18 months of being told to just live with monthly new shingles breakouts and giving up on myself I am fighting now.
Got my test back on the rash. It's not shingles. I have no idea what it is but I'm canceling my derm. appt. I've had random rashes over the past 39 years; this one is just bigger than the others. No point in going in just to be told it's eczema or contact dermatitis or some other generic thing. They have no helpful treatment options either. Use the cortisone cream which just makes me itch even more. I'll wait it out. It will itch and then go away in 2-3 weeks. "So until next time, enjoy out Wild America."  Sorry, a little quote from an old TV show.