Shingles or Herpes?

II've had a blistered rash on my hip since Sunday. For a week before that my thigh has and is super sensitive, tingling, pins and needles feeling. I've felt crappy all over and my hip and knee joints were sore. This is all on the right side of the body. the only thing I can come to this being after hours of internet research is shingles. Today I went to expresscare and the dr said that it's not shingles because it doesn't "hurt" enough. She told me it's herpes, but I was once told by a doctor that it's you don't get genital herpes outside the genital area. The dr that I saw today said this is kinda like a cold sore, but it didn't really make much sense. I'm not really sure what to think, I see my real Dr next week but I'd like some advice till then. I have a 9 mo old son and I'm terrified of giving him herpes on his skin, should I be very paranoid about this? I"m not really sure what to think but I do know I'm super nervous about this...
You can get herpes type 2 of the skin.  I remember an ob-gyn saying she got it on her arm from a delivery where her glove left a gap on her arm and she delivered a mother who had not told her she had herpes.  

So keep the sores covered.  You can get tested for herpes.  It doesn't particularly sound like herpes.  I hope it's not something from a tick.