Shingles Community
Shingles w/o anti-virals

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

Shingles w/o anti-virals

Hey whatsup guys... my name is Ryan, i'm 19... and i've had 2 experiences with Shingles. The first outbreak was about a year ago.. i started getting symtoms (symptoms) of Fibromyalgia throughout my body, and i was freaking out.. had no idea what it was, and then boom... shingles rashes on my back, underarms, and on my chest. This happened after i stayed up for 2 days straight a couple times during that week... guess it weakened my immune system and allowed the virus to attack?

Anyway, i got my second outbreak a couple months ago... after experiencing multiple panic attacks due to the hurricane that hit us here in NY. And since then i haven't been treated... because i didnt even notice the rash on my back until a couple weeks after. I haven't gone to any doctors for antivirals for it yet... and it came back out a couple months ago. The rash isn't severe this time, but its causing a lot of annoyances... and lots of general aching and burning sensations on my back.

Any suggestions on what to do?
bump
You are right, when we get rundown and stressed shingles may break out. You don't say if the rash has been on same side both times. Usually shingles only affect one side of the body at a time and may occur due to what is going on inside (did you have bronchitis/pneumonia, or hurt that area like a back injury?) One of the most important things you can do is keep warm, this will help with the nerve pain. Also try not to scratch and open the blisters.  Benadryl by mouth may help and so might Caladryl (calamine plus Benadryl),  just remember to cut down on the oral Benadryl if using topicals that contain Benadryl..  Be aware Benadryl makes you drowsy so don't drive after it. Also eat healthy, especially fruits and veggies and get a lot of sleep.If you can check out my posting on shingles and cander (supposed to have been cancer) it might answer some  more questions.  Good luck!.
Yeah i had mono, along with a series of panic attacks... because i have general anxiety disorder,.. and im not currently being treated for it, so i suppose that could be why it happened a second time.

Never had a back injury. I mean, i was working out doing pull ups and lifting weights, don't know if that would have anything to do with it?

I'm wondering... will this go away on its own then? or could i have permenent nerve damage?

thank you
In my case they stopped when I was diagnosed with cancer but my husband who had them on his back twice has not had a bout in years. You probably won't have permanent nerve damage but you definitely  may get flares of itching and nerve pain. That is very common and it happens more when we are stressed and rundown.Have you tried imagery for panic attacks and pain? That is when you visualize something that makes the problem better; like closing your eyes and seeing the image of something that  makes you calm. Or picture Pacman munching your bumps or painful areas. It may sound silly but it can help.
Thank you ^^