Shingles Community
Weird shingles question--figure someone here might know

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

I had my first case of shingles a few weeks ago on my left side--a small cluster of blisters. It wasn't too painful. I finished the Famvir on Dec 25.

A few days later I seem to have a new single blister on my hand. Just today there seems to be one popping up on my knee. They hurt!

Is it possible for it to come back so quickly, and in a different place--odd places too on hand and knee. I am on immunosuppressant medication. I guess go back to the doc??  I'm a little freaked out it will start spreading all over my body
Thanks for any help!
How were you diagnosed as having shingles? Be seen for a proper exam and insist on a swab/culture to determine what it is; shingles won't just spread all over the body.
I had shingles on both my thighs- they were raised bumps that were painful and filled with pus, but not many other symptoms.  It's the herpes zoster virus that causes chickenpox I believe.
is there treatment to cure shingles or HSV1 (cold sores)?  so famvir or acyclovir can't cure you or prevent transmission?
I was initially diagnosed by my GP who looked at the shingles on my left torso.

Another doctor of mine--who prescribes the immunosuppressant drug--asked me to send photos of the new blisters on knee and hand.  He didn't believe it was shingles until he saw the pics.  He said to hold off on immunosuppressant drugs.  

Everyone is out for the holidays. Tomorrow I will try to get in to GP. Getting a culture is a good idea. Thanks for the help.

I did read there is something called disseminated shingles where it can pop up in different places, but not common.
I think I had folliculitis because the bumps were on both my thighs
am I correct that shingles only occurs on one side of the body, it's not bilateral?
asthma13 - let's keep your questions in your own post. Thank you.
I just wanted to tell you to watch it very closely. When i first started having outbreaks it was once every other month or so, no pain, but the blisters were leaving scars on my arm. Now I get them every single month and they're showing up new places and the pain is worse every time too. I have discovered that pure tea tree oil directly on the rash does amazing things. The rash dries up and disappears 5 times as fast as without it. Last month when I had my break out I put it on at the first sign and it even prevented the breakout from getting as severe. Good luck!
My doc is keeping me on the  Valacyclovir for one full month 3x/day.  Then one /day for a year.  Since I take Humira and have neuropathy in the leg affected by shingles he thinks it will help wipe it out.
This is the plan MY pc has come up with.  We will see!
Wishing you the best, and speedy recovery!
I am having severe burning pain and itching on my right arm.    Very sensitive to touch and trying not to scratch.  Could this be shingles without a rash?   I also have MS which is an autoimmune issue.   I sometimes itch and scratch causing bruising. This is different.    It's very uncomfortable.   Cannot let anything touch my skin.