Shingles Community
are cold sores and shingles related?

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

are cold sores and shingles related?

I have suffered from recurrent cold sores since childhood (am 48) but after a very stressful surgery about 18 months ago, I have an additional skin rash that happens at the same time as the cold sores. The rash looks like lines of blisters that form on my inner forearm, always in the same area. I've asked my doctor if this could be shingles, she says no because it is not on my torso. I know this occurs at the same time as cold sores for me, I have treated the symptoms of cold sores for years with acyclovir...but can you have cold sores on your arm? Or are the two forms of herpes just activating at the same time in me? Anyone with anything similar happening?
I've had the same thing.  There are doctors who say shingles has to be systemic (on the torso) but if your arms are attacked, who's to say?

I get them on the same place you do.  One doctor said it was Shingles, one said it wasn't....go figure.....just like neurologist, half of them can't agree on anything.

I also use the same cream for them.  Stress will do it.  Surgery often does it.

Good luck and keep me posted!
meant to say ATTACHED not attacked, me bad