Shingles Community
shingles and cander

WELCOME TO THE SHINGLES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Shingles such as: Causes, Chicken Pox, Complications, Diagnosis, Medications, Prevention, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors, Self Care, Symptoms Tests, Treatment, Vaccines, Varicella Zoster Virus, VZV and Warning Signs.

shingles and cander

This is more of a statement than question but if it saves one person then it is worthwhile.  In April 2011 I began breaking out monthly with shingles on different parts of my body - the worst; eyes, ears, scalp, mouth, This continued until sept 2012.  During this time I went to doctors and begged them to do tests for cancer as well as treat the horrible pain I was enduring. You see I was a nurse educator and had researched and written a class on the body's hidden secrets after both of my parents died after having strange skin symptoms.  Several friends and family members had long bouts with shingles and then were diagnosed with cancer where the shingles first appeared.  Then my mom woke up with a huge blister covering her chest and breasts which the doctor attributed to burns suffered while taking a shower. My mom  was diagnosed with end stage lung cancer soon after-dying 5 months later and only 6 months after my dad died of cancer of prostate to bone to brain. His shingles were constant for 6 months on his lower abdomen and back before his diagnosis.  You can understand why I was worried but no one would listen until I began bleeding vaginally. (I am 57 and 7 year post menopausal). I blame myself because after so long I began to give up on myself and believe that I was crazy like most drs told me. In August I was told that I had uterine cancer after a biopsy.  I bled heavily for 3 months before anyone could decide what to do. I had surgery 11/6 to remove a soccer sized uterus, grapefruit sized pelvic lymph nodes, and 12 orange sized lymph nodes extending in my belly and chest. I have one tumor left because it was growing into y superior vena cava of my heart. Pathology shows that I had squamous cell cancer that began growing in the back of my uterus (this is rare since most start at the cervix but mine was benign).The dr said if I had not developed a fast growing, aggressive uterine cancer, sarcoma, I may have not been diagnosed until it was too late. I am positive my shingles were a precursor and a sign because when I was diagnosed they stopped.  I am now trying to beat cancer's overwhelming odds with chemo and radiation which are brutal.  If my story helps just one of you get through to the ineffective drs out there, I will feel like at least my life is not completely wasted. Please do not give up on yourself even if they laugh at your suggestions.  As for post shingle pain I learned that moist heat,  anti-inflammatory drugs,  and Benadryl helped some.Good luck!
So would you say if a person's immune system is out of whack for some reason that shingles could show up over and over again? I was trying to read up on shingles and it warns against being around immunocompromised folks when you have an outbreak.

I can't imagine having the shingles coming back every month. The last bout I had lasted a good 3 weeks not counting the crazy itching I had before the rash appeared.

How are you doing now? Shingle free?
I am shingle free and have been since diagnosed with uterine and periaortic
csncer. Yes shingles are contagious especially to immunocompromised patients. When I went into the hospital for surgery in November I still had the marks from septembe'rs bout and they put me in isolation in ICU.
do you recommend anyone over 60 getting the Zostrix vaccine for shingles prevention? Do you think it really gives enough immunity? I did have chicken pox as a child so I am worried abt getting shingles too. thx
@Opus.  I got the vaccine when I was 70 .   My doctor advised and said I could still get a light case, but would be protected from anything severe.

It is a nasty virus.  Many friends have suffered through it.  I think the vaccine is safe.

Not sure how it works in Canada....remember having to wait a couple of months...and paying a hefty amount to be vaccinated.  Believe that has changed as I see posters @ drugstore advocating.....
I think that each person is different. My doctor did not recommend it to me but I have many health problems. Even when I kept having the monthly bouts I was not treated for the, told to let the run their course.
thx for the comments...yeah thats what I've read too, that can still get the virus just not as severe...I'm terrified of getting shingles, I've seen how horrible they can be. I guess I had better discus with my doctor and see if he thinks its advisable for me.