458?1254705422
Sick and tired of being sick and tired. User Group
Hepatitic C and nutrition
About This Group:

I guess I am looking for a place to go when things get too bad. I don't know if this is that place, but.... I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, 15% of a liver (need a transplant, and because of the Methadone, I have little if any chance of getting on a list.), Hepatitis C, and am on 100mgs. of Methadone. I was an addict for 40 years. But have not used any illicit drug for 35 of those 40 years. I also suffer from severe depression that so far has not been successfully treated with medication. I guess now a lot of you have already judged me, and think that I got what I deserved. I guess that is why I am writing this. To see if I can receive some help or, as when I go to a doctor, just be judged for my past. I hope that is not the case because I am told that I do not have a lot of time left on this earth. I am a good man who has always taken good care of his parents and wife and kids. But, I know that means little to anyone because it seems doctors only see the addiction that I had a long time ago. Yes, I know I am still addicted to Methadone, but when no doctor will give me anything for for the pain that is caused by the RA, I take my relief where I can get it. If anyone out there is suffering, no matter why, maybe we can talk. To the rest of you that are judges, kiss my a&#! JohnD.

Founded by John1956 on October 4, 2009
104 members

Hepatitic C and nutrition

I was first diagnosed with Hepatitis C in 1997. Since that time, there has been almost no progression of this illness. However about three weeks ago, I began to have problems urinating. It the progressed to just feeling generally lousy. I had blood taken last week, and the symptoms are from my Hepatitis. I have an appointment with my doctor this Friday, and I'm scared. I worked at the Men's detox years ago, and have seen the effects of this disease first hand. I have a really lousy diet and have been compulsive about red meat and Pepsi. I am going to do my bets to get better. Any thoughts on nutrition and holistic treatments I might try. I am on Medi-Care, so I doubt they will fund interferon. Anyway, I was on interferon in 2002. After six months, my doctor stopped treatment, He said it wasn't having the effect he had hoped for. Any thoughts will be sincerely received.
Is there a University hospital anywhere around you?  Usually they can and do get funding and you can get treatment through there, and it's good treatment. As far as the interferon goes, I know that now they add something else which makes the teatments more effective.  I will have to write back on this as I need to look it up because I forgot the name of the drug!

You are lucky you can take interferon at all!  I can't due to depression, and the fact that my Hep C is 1A, the hardest to treat with any medications.

I do know of a person who was in stage one for years and years and then all of a sudden they started feeling sick, the only difference is that he got a transplant he was so bad.  I guess this disease can just up and start havoc with anyone.

Good luck to you, and find a University Hospital, they are good.
I am so glad I found this. Its hard to find any intelligence amongst the craziness of addiction. I am a 26 year old addict who also suffers from Hepatitis C. Its hard to find anybody who can relate. Even in treatment centers and so forth, people dont want to reveal to others about their illness, because of the stigma attached to it. I was diagnosed with Hep C when I was 19. I went through 18 months of interferon/ribavirin treatment, and luckily have not had to repeat it again. It was one of the hardest times of my life. I have continued to abuse drugs since before I started the treatment, and now am stuck in the "methadone maintenence."  I need to get out of it. I have watched too many friends die from drugs, as well as hep C and other illnesses associated with drug abuse. You think we would learn a lesson, yet, here we are. Idk what I was hoping to get out of this, I usually dont do this kinda thing. Im not too tech savvy, and I have been too caught up in my addiction to learn how to do a whole bunch on a computer. But if anyone can benefit from my mistakes, then I guess somehow it was worth it. I see these 18 and 19yr old kids in line at the methadone clinic and on the the other side i see 45, 50 yr olds who are falling apart from years of abuse. I look back and forth and realize, that im just standing in line to kill myself. This is a road to nowhere. I have wasted the last 12 yrs of my life and have nothing to show for myself. 10 yrs ago, I was a happy 16 yr old, with multiple colleges offering me scholarships for academics and all the opportunities in the world. It seems like yesterday. It goes by like that. It just saddens me, to think that all these bright young kids are going to throw their lives away. Get out of this lifestyle while it is still a viable option. Going to college is no longer an option. I can barely even get a referral for a rehabilitation center.You will eventually burn all your bridges. It can and does happen to the best of us. I know. Please, I pray that someone can get something out of this to avoid them from having to suffer from what I have been through in the past 10 years. What I have put my family through. I am the only one of my friends that is still here. They are all DEAD. All of them. My two best friends have died in the past year while on "methadone maintenence." It is not the safe, friendly ************** option it is made out to be. It will kill you. It is killing me. I am the last man standing over here, for how long, i dont know. But I know that my road will eventually run out, and what do I leave behind for a legacy. My daughter would not remember me proudly. People ask my parents about me, and they change the subject. I am an object of ridicule now instead of someone they can be proud of. This disease has ripped me of everything I am. I have to go now, I have to leave in a little bit, to walk across Baton Rouge to get to the methadone clinic before it becomes a sideshow. That is what my life has become.
Gosh, someone tried to talk me into methadone for fibromyalgia.  I'm so glad I read your post.  I was blessed... before anyone ever offered me drugs I spoke to someone I knew well who said, "I tried mescalin once and I'll never do it again."  "Why?" I asked.  "Because I liked it too much."  he said.  That was enough for me... I'd already seen what alcohol can do.  

With your hepC and all you're not alone in being pariah.  My problem is chronic, severe anxiety and 38 years of meds and nobody wants to talk to me.  I'm so chronically low on cortisol that infections are the norm and I'm always sick.  I've been that || close to death three times and I don't have the energy to care if I dance the dance and that annoys the ### out of the people who don't know (yet) what it feels like.  

Hang in there... start eating every fresh, raw fruit and vege you can get your hands on, even if you have to just stuff it in your mouth and chew.  It may not taste super, but it's a beginning.  Strangely enough, after six months this stuff actually tastes good to me!  I gave up sugar, processed foods, etc. at the same time, so I guess that helped.  Now, if I can't identify it just by looking at it I don't eat it.  Everything as close to raw as I can get it.  

There are ways to detox your body.  It takes a long, long time to do it safely and right.  With no money it's a whole lot harder.  You've got access to the Internet... Google natural treatment for HepC and again for methadone addiction.  You know by now, it's up to you.  Nobody can get our bodies on the healthy diet but us.  Don't wait until it's do or die like I did.  :)  

Thanks for sharing.
Dee1956 :) Comment
Sep 16
Dee1956 commented on timothy141's status
Sep 15
Dee1956 commented on Buba1962's status
Sep 14