Single Parenting Community
Custody

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of raising children as a single parent.

Custody

Has anyone here ever done a 50/50 custody arrangement with children in school? How well does it work if so?  I have court on Thursday. What I am going for is full time during the school year of my two little girls. They are 7 and 9. Then during the summer we have agreed to every other week, which I think is fine in summertime cause they dont have to worry about school. But during the school year I think they should be in one home full time. I am giving him every other weekend and Wednesday nights. Has anyone ever heard of a successful 50/50 throughout the school year?
I am not in your shoes, but as a chld who split custody between two parents, unless you and your ex live in the same school district where your daughters can still attend the same school, it would be awfully difficult. My dad really tried hard to keep me in my original school system when he got custody of me when I was in Junior high, but it proved too hard for both of us as it meant getting up extra early and getting home late. My folks did the every other weekend thing for the odd parent, every other holiday, and 2 weeks in the summer. I like the idea of the full time during the school year with every other weekends and possibly a week night and then the alternate parent gets the summers with the alternating weekend and weeknight.

I did have an occasion to meet a couple that actually lived on the same block that shared custody of their daughter. She was able to decide nightly where she wanted to be and her folks had an incredibly amicable split. I realize this does not work for everyone, it would have never worked for my folks : )

Good luck, I wish I could provide better answers. But I did want to add my persepctive as a child who was often the center of bitter custody disputes.
My sister and bil had 50/50 up until my nephew turned 14. Now he lives full time with his dad. My niece still goes to her dad's Sunday afternoon and stays until the following Sunday afternoon. This has worked out very well for them. They do it all year around, not just during school. But, they all live in the same school district. Also, my bil had to change his work schedule around, which was pretty hard to do at first. He works at an aluminum plant and they do the 21 shift. Now he does a week of dayshift, then the week he doesn't have my niece, a week of evening shift. He's just fortunate that the supervisor let him do that. Anyhow, my niece loves it bc she can have the best of both worlds-mom and dad with equal time. Best wishes to you.
Thank you so much for you comments. That made me feel better. My stuff finally settled yesterday just before we went into trial. We are going to do every other week during the summer then I have both my girls full time during the school year. They will stay at thier dads every Wednesday night instead of coming home after visits those nights, and he will get them every other weekend Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. I got exactly what I was asking for. It all worked out very well. Thank you all for your support. I appreciate it.
I am happy to hear it worked out well for your family.
Thank you Andi. I appreciate it.