Single Parenting Community
I'm losing my mind

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of raising children as a single parent.

I'm losing my mind

I am a 24 yr old single parent.  I work full-time, finishing up my degree, in the process of trying to find a job in my field and relocate, and take care of my 4 yr old daughter.  Life gets really hard between working, school, my daughter's extra-curricular activities, bills, bills, and bills.  Sometimes and I have a hard time coping with balancing everything.  I feel tired/sleepy ALL the time, angry @ the world, and I cry a lot b/c I'm frustrated.  What can I do to cope with this stress?  I feel like i'm losing it.  
ur fine honey it can be worst , im homeless with my 2 kids no job.no money .in the winter my baby got spina bifida .torticollis. but were thankfull that we are together .what u need to do its to organize ur self it will be ok
You are young, this is good! I did my graduate degree with a 3 yr old (I was 30). We spent a great deal of time at the library -- I would set her up in kids section (computer, puzzles, books on tape, story hour) and then I would read, write on computer. I had no family to help out. I utilized my college, work resources and the Dept of Social Services. Money is forever too little. If you have a spouse who helps, lucky you. If not, don't give up on child support -- see the Office of Child Support Enforcement. As for the current moment of stress with your 4 yr old, enjoy simple things together... a game of go fish, a walk, feeding pigeons, the library -- she probably wants a few moments just with you, one to one, where you are not distracted,simply there looking and listening to her. And her imagination and ability to be "in the moment" will help you relax. There are good years despite the stress.
Part of being a mom is holding it together when times get tough. Its always difficult to deal with the stress..I am 17 and my son is only 11 months right now. I graduated a year early so, I am in my first year of college and I work to pay for an apartment that my son and I live in. The stress can be unbearable at times!! I can't even imagine what you are going through with a 4 yr old. But, just stay focused and remember that you are almost done with your degree and soon things will get easier. Don't forget that you were blessed with a child that will love you unconditionally like you love her!! I wish you the best.
One thing you do need, in my opinion, is a support system. I'm a single 47 yr w/ a 10 yr. old son. I went back to school 6 yrs ago to pick up an educ. certification after major layoffs at work. Trust me on this one...if you are crying, angry at the world, stressing out over making ends meet, your child is picking up on that stress and feeling it too. Writing in a journal is one thing but talking with another person...there is something to be said about having someone hear what you are saying about how you are feelings. And, it's okay to allow yourself to feel-just remember that and don't get numb. The school that you are attending, they have counselors on campus and that's their main purpose to help students that are struggling with stressors--take the 30 mins to an hour between class and work and stop by and give it a try. It may feel ackward at first but you'll find their is a lot of comfort in spilling out your feelings to someone who is held accountable for that information and not just someone who will drop a tidbit in a conversation with another friend and then bingo EVERYBODY knows your business. Give it some thought and decide to do it.
The feelings and symptoms that you describe sound very familiar to me:  tired, teary, stressed, angry (mood swings).  I am guessing that you may have depression.  Depression is not uncommon.  And it is manageable once you identify it.  

I was diagnosed with post natal depression ten years ago after my second child (I almost lost him at birth) but looking back at how I felt and behaviour etc I believe that I have suffered with depression on and off most of my life (I am 40).  I strongly object to medication and resist it at all costs, but I recently went back onto meds after about a year of trying to cope "on my own".  And within 2 weeks I was feeling better - more able to cope with things.  I was SOOOOOO happy that I bit the bullet and went back on them.

wishgrantedchild has a great suggestion about talking to a counsellor.  If they suspect that you do have depression, then maybe they will point you to a doctor.

Do you have some friends that you can just talk to about how you are feeling?  I know it sounds corny, but a problem shared is a problem halved.  Sometimes just talking about all that is worrying/stessing you can help you put things into perspective.

You sound like SuperWoman with all that you are doing.  WOW!!  Do you think that you need to just reassess where you are at?  Moving is in the top ten strssors, so is it possible to put that one on hold for awhile until you regain your control?

I am only new to these forum things, and I see your post was back in Dec.  The lead up to Christmas raises my anxiety levels, and perhaps it may have had an impact on you, too.

Good luck with your studies.  I really take my hat off to you with all that you are doing.
Take care.
Hi. I am dealing wtih the same things. I have cried before on many occasions with being a single mom from stress, to lonliness, to anger, etc.My daughter is 6. I am 25. I used to work 40-70 hours a week. Go to school. Have my daughter in extra curricular activites.
Now I am at a standstill I'm moving back in with my parents and am thinking about working partime(8:30-2:30). Then that still gives me 4 days a week to go to they gym. I can pick up my daughter around 4:30. Help with homework. Cook dinner. And not stress and feel like life is racing by at a million miles an hour and I am going to breakdown.

I am also going to school at University of Phoenix. I have 2 years left for BA and 1.5 for MBA  I figured I would just finish getting those and then take it from there since I'll only be 30. I just want to enjoy life because who knows, I could die tomorrow.