Single Parenting Community
New single mom

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of raising children as a single parent.

New single mom

I very recently gave birth to my beautiful daughter.  I was with a person whom I thought was going to be there for us but he tucked his tail and hit the curb while I was in the hospital. I had to move both of us in with my mother until I can find a job & get back on my feet. I know its.going to be hard but I am willing to do anything for this lil girl. The father may be in the picture one day but I'm not getting my hopes too high.

How do you deal with all of the stress? When do you start dating again, if you do at all? What obstacles can I expect?
you deal with the stress by focusing on the baby. she is new and is going to need a lot of attention and love.
start thinking about dating again once you catch up on your sleep :) then you can have a slightly clearer head. Personal suggestion though, start dating once your on your feet and independent again.
obstacles to dating or being a single mother? dating- you have a new baby, and you live with your mother. single motherhood- living with someone else can be rough. Especially with added stress of a newborn and different ideas on how things should be done. Your emotions regarding the father, and the what-if situations related to him and his child.
Thanks. I'm not even remotely thinking about dating anytime soon, I just was curious. I don't plan on living with another guy for a very long time either. I have learned my lessons on that one. I am really looking forward to this awesome new chapter in my life, even though I'm still a little frightened of messing something up. I know its a learning experience & all ... I just want to be the best I can be for her.
I guess Its really dificult on us to find some guys who truely love us specialy our child. I'm a single mom too. But what's important is we have our kid. She needs more attention. there's. A lot of guy out there but only few could understand our sutuation. Just enjoy being a mom:)
The stress is hard to deal with. Is your mother helping you?  My mother didnt help and I was on my own from the beginning for three years. I really didnt date because I didnt want my daughter to get attached to anyone then it didnt work out. It wasnt until she was 7 that I started to see someone and I am now married looking to file for adoption and have the father removed off the birth certificate. He has never seen her once and has had 3 other children since that he has never taken care of financially or physically.

I found the hardest part was being alone. If I wanted to do something I would bring her along, if she was in the hospital for a week I sat there having no time to sleep. Finding the right schools and daycares were hard because there were so many waiting lists and I was stressed all the time. The financial burden was the hardest for me but I made it through and in the end I really enjoyed being single with my daughter and I grew so much.  The one thing that saddens me is that it went by so fast and when I look at pictures I forget certain parts when she was little because of the stress I was under.

My daughter needs a lot of attention and I mean alot. I am her hero and we have such a great bond because of what we went through together and I stayed strong eventhough there were times I didnt think I could do it alone.

I may regret having a child with my ex but in a way I was blessed because she really did change my life.