Single Parenting Community
Parental Rights

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of raising children as a single parent.

Parental Rights

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help with my question or not but I'll try.  I have a 7 yr old son that I have had full custody of since he was born (the father denied he was the father from the beginning until he took the dna test), he would see my son off and on, basically when he felt like it.  He was cheating on me when we were together and left me for her when I found out I was pregnant, they now have a son together and she had a daughter from a previous relationship...(little background).  Anyways, when my son was about 21/2-3 I suspected that he was being physically abused by either his dad his dads girlfriend or both.  The last visit my son had with his dad he came home with some really suspisious marks, the next day I brought him to the doctor and it was reported.  There were police, detectives, and child protection involved, it was later determined that my son was in fact abused in his fathers home.  Charges were brought against him by the state.  He took a plea and walked with probation.  This was almost 5 years ago.  The court ordered supervised visits to him, which he has not exercised, not even attempted.  He has not seen or talked to his son in almost 5 years.
So, here's my question..would I be wrong to ask him to sign over his rights to my son?  I am getting married next year to a man that I have been with for the last 5 years, he loves my son to death and vise versa.  We've tossed around the idea of him adopting my son, but my sons father would need to sign over his rights.  My son and my fiance have an awesome relationship.  Is this something I could consider?
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Just thought I would give you my opinion. I recently received full custody of my two boys back in Oct. There was both physical and mental abuse mostly from step-dad but from mother as well. I think you did the right thing by reporting these things to the authorities. I also feel that you have every right to ask him to give up his rights if he has not seen his child in five years. Sounds like you have found a pretty good man who cares deeply for your son. I would also like to tell you if the bio father refuses so what!!!! your soon to be husband does not need a piece of paper to be a daddy. So ask and if turns out he wont give up his rights , just continue ahead I feel like things will work out! Good luck to you (just my opinion) :) Jamie proud dad
sorry just seen the date of your post, Im new to all of this!!!!lol hope it worked out
I have a 15 month old daughter that I have been trying to convince the low life father to turn over his rights since her birth.  From the background you have given I completely agree with you and really believe it would be in your sons best interest if his biological father would terminate his rights.  Your son does not need someone like that in his life and in the long run would only be continually emotionally burdened by his fathers presence in his life.  Make life easier on yourself as well honey and get him out of your life too.  If he doesn't have any rights to your son then you don't have to even think about him ever again.  Go for it is basically what I am saying.  I only wish I was as fortunate as you to have the option to offer my daughters dad to give up his rights.  I am from Nebraska and here they do not allow the father or mother to give up there right unless they have a spouse to adopt the child.  So in order to have her biological father relinquish his rights I have to marry someone that wants to adopt my daughter.