Single Parenting Community
can anyone give me advice on how to explain to my five year old son why...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of raising children as a single parent.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

can anyone give me advice on how to explain to my five year old son why his abusive father is absent from his life?

my 5yr old son is brilliant,funny and overall a very happy little boy. however, recently he has began to question me about his father and i am completely at a loss about how to answer him. he hasnt seen his father since he was a year old and therefore has no memories of him. his father was abusive towards me and when i ended the relationship he took me to court for accsess which he was awarded every second weekend. it didnt last long though and he subsequently walked away from my son months later. he still pays maintenaince but other than that i have no idea where he is. my son has now started asking me why he has no daddy, where his daddy is e.t.c. i have showed him pictures of his dad and told him he lives far away. but now he asks me can we not drive there to see him. i feel so guilty about all of this and if i thought his father had any interest in him i would try to contact him but i know he would only reject him again. i really need some advice on what to tell my son so as not to cause any more damage than is neccesary.