Single Parenting Community
my son thinks I chose my boyfriend

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of raising children as a single parent.

my son thinks I chose my boyfriend

My 13 year old son thinks I chose my fiance over him. I have been a single mom & lived @ my parents house. I just recently purchased a brand new home w/ my fiance & his child in April. It was hard for all of us to adjust to eachothers ways & schedules.I can admit me & my fiance were arguing quite often about the littlest things. My son would go to his dads house every other weekends also. We had only lived in the house for 3 weeks & My son went & tld his dad there was arguing in the home & my sons dad served me w/ ex parte papers.  We go to court & court recommends supervised visits & also if I would like to havemy son that I would move out of my home & back to my parents house. I was tld by my son that his dad has told him that he wont be able to see me for 2 yrs if he dont tell the court that I need help & need supervised visits.My son says I chose my fiance cuz I wouldve moved to my parents. My son says he dont want to have supervised visits but his dad tld him its me who wants it. I have been seeing my son in supervised visits but its really hard & do feel my son is unhappy there. My fiance & i have stopeed our arguing & our relationship has gotten better, but I still want my son in my life . I went to my sons football game a few months ago & his father told him dont look at your mom or talk to your mom because she dont care about you & my son listened to his dad.I told the court my sons dad brainwashes my son & the father argues that he does not . My sons dad is making my son believe i, a bad ,pther & making my son believe that I chose my fiance over my son.I dont know what alse to do & dont want him to feel that i chose my fiance
OMG this seems very extreme indeed! I think your son has made a HUUGEEEE mistake and now can't find a way out of it, and this has made it extremely difficult for you to resolve.
First of all you didn't choose your Fiance! You and your fiance provided a new home, a fresh start but it is inevitable to have rows/disagreements, as you said it was just a case of settling in together, it is perfectly normal!
Your Son obviously felt a bit rubbish one day and decided to have a moan to his Dad ( as all kids do with seperated parents ) and it has spiralled from there.
My advice would be to you is to fight, fight, fight for your son back, you say he doesn't appear to be happy.
Go to your lawyer and start proceedings off, just because it has already been to court doesn't mean that you have to give up!
I would do everything in my power to prove to my Son that his Father is wrong, you do want him and didn't choose anybody over him, you just didnt give into his demands cos it obviously looked like a tantrum!
Do everything by the book, do not miss any visits or court dates, prove to the judge you will not give up and have full commitment to your son.
Do everything the judge asks of you to prove yourself (unfair I know but seems that you will have to do it ) and eventually you should get more rights to your son..and most importantly when your son is older you will be able to prove to him that you did your best and that his father was making it hard for you, that is the most important bit.
Never ever give up!!!
good luck