separation anxiety
My six year old daughter hates to be away from me. Once I drop her off at before school care she cries until she gets involved in an activity. she cries while in her classroom but the teacher is usually able to calm her down pretty quickly. It's hard to leave her even to go shopping. She will plead with me not to leave her. I am not sure what to do. I thought this would be easier as she got older.
I think this is pretty common with young children, particularly under 10 years old it seems. As long as you are able to get away from her without making a big scene yourself, and she is able to easily cope within a reasonable amount of time, I don't think you need to worry much.

Since you're a single parent (I'm assuming, since you're posting in this forum), then it's probably going to take your daughter a little longer to "outgrow" the separation anxiety, because you're her stonghold of support each and every day. She depends on you, and only you, to always be there to take care of her. Obviously, you're meeting her needs, because she isn't having severe separation anxiety, where she absolutely *cannot* be away from you and *cannot* be consoled or distracted, no matter what.

My mom raised me as a single parent for the first 9 years of my life, and I was fairly similar to your daughter. I would feel anxiety when she left me until I was about 8 years old (but outgrew the crying by about 4 years old), and if she was even 5 minutes late picking me up from daycare, I'd start to freak out and pace around, holding back tears because I thought she might be in a car crash or something.

She'll outgrow her fears though, especially if they're not getting worse or are not severe as they are. Just remind her each day when you leave her that you'll be back to get her, and that you'll always be there for her. I tell my son I will never ever leave him and I will always, always come back for him. He's only 3 years old and understands this, so perhaps your daughter would benefit from a phrase like that too.
Sometimes this happens.  Just help your child through it, and it will pass soon.