Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Blood sinus discharge after a virus

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

Blood sinus discharge after a virus

Today is February 22, I currently have very thin very wet mucous that drips out of my nose with little or no warning, it started out pink but is now dark red, it is clear and bright and sometimes goes back to clear,  there no sign infections that i can tell.  I am telling this history backwards as to remember it correctly.   Approximately 2 days ago I had very much pain in what seemed like the bottom part of my lower right sinus. In order not to self diagnose or in layman terms, it felt like my cheek bone had been hit with a baseball bat. I started to see some blood then I blew my nose then it turned to a thickish mucous mixed with blood, I blew out what seem to be a blood clot and a bunch of mucous. After a short while the pain in my face seemed to subside.  Now on the 3rd day, I have what seems to be thin mucous mixed with blood that appears to be getting darker (sometime it will be clear or pinkish).  I had a sore throat type virus that seem to last a long time it started about about January 29th, and began to clear up about 3 days ago.  I would appreciate any advice, I don't have health insurance and no job so if this is something that will heal its self I don't want to spend that money.
I had a nasty bout with the flu in 2006 and now that I think back I remembered some of the mucus I blew from my nose being tinged with blood. Sometimes little clots of blood would come up through my throat and I would have to spit it out. After the flu it seems like I developed a case of what my ENT calls chronic rhinitis. The symptoms were constant nose blowing with clots of bloody mucus out. I had an unnecessary septal performation performed that made my symptoms worst. It seems like what you are experiencing is some form of sinusitis that was a leftover from the sore throat type virus you had. I don't know what it is but sometimes viruses or the flu can trigger other symptoms that can remain long after the virus is gone. My symptoms 7 years after the flu are constant thick mucus in throat,some nose blowing with watery eyes,hoarse voice,sore throat,tooth erosion(had to have 5 crowns),tonsil stones. If you have any of these symptoms I would suggest you see a doctor although truly for the past 7 years no doctor has been helpful to me. All they do is tell you to get a flu shot and prescribe expensive nasal sprays that don't work. I don't know how old you are but I will be 53 in May.
Thanks for responding, my nose blead heavy all of Thursday and begian to slow down Friday. It continued to get less everyday and now seems to be getting back to normal. I hope you find relief, 7years is along time to suffer, my husband had about the same issues a yours but has pretty became close to normal. Neither of us know what cleared it up