Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Choking from mucus

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

Choking from mucus

This mucus problem started two years ago after a sinus infection. It is really not getting better. Lately having issues with swallowing food. The mucus that keeps running down my throat not only causes my throat to feel soar but it has been problematic for my ears because they keep getting blocked. Have ringing in both ears now and  the mucus is blocking my airway when I eat.  I had to sit up in bed last night because it runs constantly. While eating dinner last night, my husband had to give me the himelick maneuver after Choking on a piece of bread. A strange thing happened though, only water came out so it wasn't the bread.  It had to be the mucus build up.  I do seem to be choking more in the morning. I really can't take this ringing in my ears lately either. Just when I thought I was getting better, it got worse.
Is there any answers to what I can do besides take Mucinex with an antihistamine, nasal spray, antibiotics or prednisone which I had taken before. I am really tired of being sick and need an alternative medicine besides drugs.
I'm going to surmise that you were diagnosed with a sinus infection by a doctor, from the drugs you have already taken.

A sinus infection in the upper sinuses can become encapsulated, and if it does, no drug can penetrate the infected mucus mass.  If you try to wash out the mucus with saline irrigation, gravity will prevent any liquid or spray from reaching the upper sinuses.  

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush uses gravity, rather than fight it

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground, or you can kneel down and lean over a bathtub, or perhaps a plastic basin or tub, with the shower running for steam.  Have your husband assist you.

Yes, sinus infections can last 2 years, or many more.  Good luck.