Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Chronic sinusitis, or just terrible immune system

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

I have been in this pattern since OCTOBER 2012. I get a cold, which then seems to turn into bacterial sinusitis anywhere between 4 and 12 days of the cold onset. Facial pain, copious dark green mucous, initial nasal swelling which goes down after a couple days, drainage through the throat, nose and eye, foul odor and taste that is constant, etc. I live with it as long as I can (10 days if the pain is really bad, up to a month if I can chew without my head feeling like it is shattering) because I want to give my body time to heal things. Then, I go to the doctor, they prescribe antibiotics, and about half the time they prescribe a course of prednisone. They give me a different nasal steroid to try, but they all cause side effects which are intolerable. I feel better while I am on the antibiotics (courses have ranged between 4 days for azythromycine to 21 days for clindamycin, and I have been on antibiotics 4 times over the past 5 months or so). And then within 2 days of stopping the antibiotics, I have another cold. The cycle starts all over again. I dont have allergies, I have cleaned everything, replaced my toothbrush, practice daily nasal irrigation, don't smoke, wash my hands hourly if not more often, eat healthy, take probiotics. I don't know what else to do to break this cycle. I saw a specialist who said that since I get better on the antibiotics its not a case of chronic sinusitis so they won't do anything. Does anyone have any suggestions?
What happens is the infection gets encapsulated in a mucus ball in the upper sinuses.  The antibiotics can't penetrate the capsule, just remove the bacteria that are causing symptoms.

The best treatment is a Flip-Turn Sinus Flush

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground, or you can kneel down and lean over a bathtub, or perhaps a plastic basin or tub, with the shower running for steam.

The passages to the upper sinuses may be swollen shut due to inflammation, so it may take 4 or 5 days of flushes to get them open, but you should see some green mucus balls coming out after that.  Stop after 2 weeks and let your cilia recover.

By the way, I had the same problem and treatment for 5 years until I invented this.