Chronic sinusitis, or just terrible immune system
I have been in this pattern since OCTOBER 2012. I get a cold, which then seems to turn into bacterial sinusitis anywhere between 4 and 12 days of the cold onset. Facial pain, copious dark green mucous, initial nasal swelling which goes down after a couple days, drainage through the throat, nose and eye, foul odor and taste that is constant, etc. I live with it as long as I can (10 days if the pain is really bad, up to a month if I can chew without my head feeling like it is shattering) because I want to give my body time to heal things. Then, I go to the doctor, they prescribe antibiotics, and about half the time they prescribe a course of prednisone. They give me a different nasal steroid to try, but they all cause side effects which are intolerable. I feel better while I am on the antibiotics (courses have ranged between 4 days for azythromycine to 21 days for clindamycin, and I have been on antibiotics 4 times over the past 5 months or so). And then within 2 days of stopping the antibiotics, I have another cold. The cycle starts all over again. I dont have allergies, I have cleaned everything, replaced my toothbrush, practice daily nasal irrigation, don't smoke, wash my hands hourly if not more often, eat healthy, take probiotics. I don't know what else to do to break this cycle. I saw a specialist who said that since I get better on the antibiotics its not a case of chronic sinusitis so they won't do anything. Does anyone have any suggestions?
What happens is the infection gets encapsulated in a mucus ball in the upper sinuses.  The antibiotics can't penetrate the capsule, just remove the bacteria that are causing symptoms.

The best treatment is a Flip-Turn Sinus Flush

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground, or you can kneel down and lean over a bathtub, or perhaps a plastic basin or tub, with the shower running for steam.

The passages to the upper sinuses may be swollen shut due to inflammation, so it may take 4 or 5 days of flushes to get them open, but you should see some green mucus balls coming out after that.  Stop after 2 weeks and let your cilia recover.

By the way, I had the same problem and treatment for 5 years until I invented this.