Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
First ever Sinus Infection

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

First ever Sinus Infection

I am 20 years old and I am generally healthy. I hardly ever get sick with the exception of my seasonal allergies. Last monday, the 29th of April, I felt dizzy and had a fever so I slept it off figuring it was nothing. Ended up at the Dr.'S on wednesday with a sore throat. Results of strep test were negative. That friday, May 3rd I ended up with a swollen uvula. After days of gargling salt water and using a netti pot it was finally shrinking in size. I went to an ENT wednesday, May 8th and he gave me amoxicilin and flonase for my post nasal drip and said I have a sinus infection. I stopped the neti pot and salt water gargles because I burnt my lips and nostrils from doing it too much. Today I still have the swollen uvula and it is swelling up again and my post nasal drip is worse. I have pressure in my sinuses and I have cut dairy, spicy, and hot foods from my diet. I deep cleaned my room and have a HEPA filter running, in case this is allergy related. Can anyone give me some advice on what else I can do to get better? I would love to be able to get my uvula to calm down its hard enough coughing and choking on mucous. I would appreciate any advice.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Do you still have the symptoms that you mentioned? If these persisted despite the antibiotic prescribed by your doctor, it is best that you inform your doctor about this for proper management. Aside from deviated septum, sinus infection or  sinusitis could also be due to  conditions that can cause sinus blockage including the common cold, allergic rhinitis, or nasal polyps. If these triggers are not controlled, sinus infection may recur. Take care and do keep us posted.