Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Maxillary Sinus or Tooth Infection Issue?

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

Hi! My name is Megan. In 2003 while in high school, I had to eventually go to the emergency room because the entire left side of my face swelled up awful out of nowhere and hurt.  They gave me antibiotics, a steroid shot and said it was 'Sinusitis'. The swelling eventually went away and things went back to normal with the exception that to this day I've had what I describe as extra tissue that is below my nose inside up upper lip.....you can't see it looking at me, I can only feel it when I run my finger along the inside of my upper lip towards my nose.  It is sensitive there and I have had some upper tooth sensitivity come and go.  

Every once in a while, if I get congested or sick, my left maxillary sinus (on the same side my face swelled) will get blocked up and be very stubborn.  When that sinus gets stopped up, it affects that extra tissue area I was describing inside my upper lip/base of nose....and I know this sounds gross....but sometimes I'll get a little bit of drainage there.  

I am writing this for a couple of reasons. I have been to the dentist and he said that I may need a root canal done on my upper front teeth because he could see an infection in x-rays of the area I've described.  I never got this done because of money/lack of insurance. I work full time now and just now got health insurance. My employer will partially reimburse me for dental expenses but I have to pay for them up front.  I'm wondering if I should go to a doctor and get a referral to an Ear, Nose & Throat doctor (is it a sinus issue?) OR should I go to a dentist (is it a tooth infection issue).

I am tired of having the maxillary sinus get stopped up and blocked....tired of the awkward 'sensitive extra tissue' that randomly drains in my upper interior lip.....(and I promise you can not see it looking at me, it's not some major abnormal growth or anything that is visible).

I am scared because I woke up this morning with a clump of blood in my mouth (that can come from the area I've described from my upper lip where it had apparently drained while I was sleeping) and blood all through my mouth.  Before when it has drained it's been a mucous-type...never any blood.....I brushed my teeth before bed and perhaps I brushed too hard and agitated it making it bleed? I don't know...but it seems odd either way...

I just don't want to go spending all this money up front with a dentist necessarily if it's actually a sinus issue and my health insurance can cover it.

If anyone has any ideas/tips, please let me know.  I know from research that maxillary sinus issues can be the result of either tooth infections or sinus cancer or some other sinus issue so I may be asking too vague a question.

I appreciate your thoughts and time.

Thanks!

Megan
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Megan,
How are you? You may need clearance or go signal from your ENT specialist first prior to your dental appointment. Infection needs to be treated with antibiotics also with the dental procedure. Take care and do keep us posted.