Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Olfactory Hallucinations, negative EEG and MRI with IgA deficiency
About This Community:

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Olfactory Hallucinations, negative EEG and MRI with IgA deficiency

I have had these olfactory hallucinations for at least 6 months now and they seem to be getting worse. I smell paint, coffee and cigarettes burning. Now Im smelling burnt citrus (thats the only way to explain it).  When I smell the cigarettes, I actually feel a burning/stinging in my nose and throat. I went to an excellent nuerologist and went for an EEG which is negative. The MRI with and without contrast only showed maxilary retention. When I initially went to my internist for my yearly check up, she took bloodwork and the results showed for the second time IgA deficient. The first time we found IgA deficiency was at a Gastro Drs visit 2 months ago. I have IBS-D but under NO meds at all for it. What could this be? I am also not able to enjoy foods the way I use to. They taste  less flavorful lately.  Thank you for all that can help.
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The maxillary retention can point towards a sinus infection. Sinus infections can cause stuffiness of the nose with nasal blockage, which can make breathing through the nose difficult. It could also cause altered perception of smell or loss of smell.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
ENT found no infection or sinuitis. He says as long as mri and eeg are normal, these things happen for no reason. Most Drs are stumped by this symptom. Sometimes it goes away on its own and sometimes your brain just phases it out. I just hope it goes away because Im getting nauseous all the time and I loose my appetite. I have also been a bit lightheaded too.  I have to move my head slowly other wise the room spins and I lfeel to loose my balance.
Blank
Im on a week of steroids to de inflame my possible irritated olfactory nerve. So far, its day 4 and Im smelling more stuff thats making me nauseous.
Blank
nothing working. everything still smells. on and off each day.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Sinus Infections/Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...