Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Phlegm

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

Phlegm

Today, I kept getting phlegm , and its hard to like cough up , i was almost gagging to get it out. There happened to be some brown stuff in it. I thought it was like pop, or food. But i brushed my teeth and i found it still there. I noticed it was sticking to the back of my throat, and its hard to cough up, or how ever.
It's really bothering.
Could something be wrong?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The symptoms described could be due to an infection, most probably streptococcal or a viral infection. Strep sore throat needs to be treated with an antibiotic as strep is a bacteria. Viral sore throat is best treated with rest, warm oral fluids and  (OTC) tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen for pain. If you develop a fever, or if there is enlargement of the tonsils with pain or if there is white coating on the tonsils, you will need to consult your primary care physician for a strep test, which if positive you will be given antibiotics.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.