Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Post-Sinus Surgery Issues

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

Post-Sinus Surgery Issues

Hello! I had the balloon sinoplasty (the sinus surgery with the balloon) about 4 weeks ago. Since then I have been healing in my sinuses fine but I have a lot of blood in my mucous that is semi-dark and semi-bright (streaks) and I seem to have a terribly sore throat and heartburn since... I am worried that I still have significant amounts of blood in my mucous coming out of my nose and mouth so I was wondering about how long post surgery should the bleeding or complications stop? My throat and chest hurt from where the breathing tube was as well but again, I figured that would have ended way before now. The throat issues and the blood streaks are starting to get worrisome but my doctor (when I call to ask about these things) told me that I shouldn't worry and that this is common.... I don't think HOW much blood in my mucous is common but I am not the professional. What do you think?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present? With sinuplasty, recovery time varies with each patient but  most patients can return to normal activities and work within 2 days. Indeed, bleeding can be a common finding after the procedure but If the bleeding persists and  other symptoms arise, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.