Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Post sinus infection symptoms?

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

Post sinus infection symptoms?

Hello everyone, after catching a cold in early January that led to a severe sinus infection, I went to a GP and then to an ENT after the gp's antibiotic and cough syrup didn't work. The ENT gave me clarithromycin 500mg (10 day) and methylprednisolone 4mg (6day) which has helped I believe get rid of the infection. During the treatment I also used a neti pot once in the morning for three days after reading how it helps and also because I was desperate for relief. Now after over a month and finishing all my medications about a week ago, two symptoms still seem to remain. I still have pressure like feeling in the back of my head and in front of my head that give headaches especially when I wake up in the morning and at night, The pressure in front of my head does not allow me to focus and the pressure in the back of my head seems to pulsate. The other symptom that still remained is feeling wobbly, off balance and unsteady when I walk around, talk, chew my food or even sometimes when I sit still I can feel my head rocking back and forth. I am still not myself. How do I get rid of these symptoms? When will these symptoms go away if ever? Thank You.
My 2nd ENT said to me - he sat me down and said : "I'm going to give you the keys to the kingdom:  Control the mucus.  Mucus is caustic and it creates inflammation if it lingers in your system".  
And he prescribed guaifenesin - he also told me "guaifenesin fights inflammation by adding water to mucus".
After a CT scan of the sinus apparently I don't have no evidence for acute or chronic sinusitis. However, I have a deviated septum towards the right side and I also noticed it said on the paper bilateral concha bullosa, what ever that means. My ENT told me just drink plenty of fluids and hopefully my symptoms get better when the warm weather comes around. It is March, it has been almost a month since the ENT visit and the symptoms still seem to remain (pressure in front of my head at the bridge of the nose between the eyes, pressure in back of head, and the unsteady feeling/heavy head). I have to clear my throat here and there; I believe that is post nasal drip. I took Mucinex D it did not work for my symptoms, but I appreciate the time you took to respond to my question. Thank You.
A concha bullosa is a pneumatized (air-filled) cavity within a turbinate in the nose. (Concha is another term for turbinate.) Bullosa refers to the air-filled cavity within the turbinate. It is a normal anatomic variant seen in up to half the population. Occasionally, a large concha bullosa within a turbinate may cause it to bulge sufficiently to obstruct the opening of an adjacent sinus, possibly leading to recurrent sinusitis. In such a case the turbinate can be reduced in size by endoscopic nasal surgery. The presence of a concha bullosa is often associated with deviation of the nasal septum toward the opposite side of the nasal cavity I had that too and ended up having to have surgery 3 times on my sinuses. perhaps i could have avoided sinus surgery if I had washed my nose every day.

anyone with sinus issues has got to rinse their nose with warm salt water every day--maybe
even 2-3 times per day at first.

if you make daily saline nasal rinsing a part of your normal routine you will
breathe better, feel better and your life will improve.
One nasal rinse clears out so much mucus - especially if you are
also taking the guaifenesin and drinking warm tea or warm water. And using the Xlear
natural nasal spray.
First wash your nose with warm salt water using a neti pot. Do this several times a day .Then follow the rinsing with
a spray called Xlear.
The Xlear Nasal Spray line contains xylitol, purified water, salt, and grapefruit seed extract as a preservative. Using xylitol in the spray make it a hyper-osmotic
solution which helps pull moisture toward it. This action keeps the nasal passages and sinuses moist for a much longer time than saline alone. Xylitol is the ingredient that sets this product apart. Safe & non-addicting.

http://www.xlear.com/

I am so used to nosewashing now that for me it's no big deal. it's like brushing my teeth
or washing my face or taking a shower.
I can't even think of NOT doing it at least once a day.

REGULAR NOSE RINSING also restores the cilia
which are THE MICROSCOPIC HAIRS IN OUR RESPIRATORY TRACT & the natural cleaners of the nose.
But to have continuing effects you must do it daily.

I also think giving up dairy is important. Dairy is
a mucus-producing food plus it's a cancer promoter.
so for better sinus health/allergy relief - I say do this :

1. wash you nose every single day with warm salt water - at least once . . .
2. use Xlear 2x a day after nose washing . . . .
3 take guaifenesin every day .. . .
4. no dairy . . .

IF YOU DO THOSE  4 THINGS FOR ONE MONTH I BET YOU'LL
BE FINE. BUT YOU HAVE TO BE CONSISTENT AND NOT TAKE ANY DAYS OFF.
ACTUALLY YOU'LL BE A LOT BETTER IN 2 WEEKS BUT DO THESE THINGS
FOR ONE MONTH AND SEE HOW GOOD YOU FEEL--!!

The Benefits of nose washing :
1. When you irrigate, the hypertonic saline (salt water) acts as a solvent and washes
the mucus crusts and other debris from you nose.
2. The higher salt concentration pulls fluid out of the swollen membranes and
shrinks them. This decongests and improves air flow into your nose. The sinus
passages begin to open.
3. Studies have also shown that high concentration salt water and an alkaline
irrigation (baking soda) improves nasal membrane cell function (mucociliary flow
of mucus debris).
Did the Guaifenesin help?