Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Sinus Infection/Blood

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

Sinus Infection/Blood

So, about 5 days ago I was diagnosed with a rather nasty infection in my sinuses/adenoids/tonsils. I've been blowing green mucus out of my nose for days, and a lot of it has been tinged with blood. I've been on antibiotics, and the pain in my throat has almost completely disappeared. However, I am still constantly blowing blood out of my nose (along with green mucus). Do I need to go back to the doctor, or will this bloody issue disappear as the infection clears?
you should be RINSING the mucus out of your nose not BLOWING it out. Usually by day 5 the mucus should not be green & bloody anymore. Have you got a neti pot? if not get one--Neilmeds makes good plastic ones available at any pharmacy. Get one asap and begin salt water nasal rinses. do 3 to 5 per day. yes do several nasal rinses per day with warm salt water
to which you add a teaspoon of Betadine. Betadine is povidone-iodine, an antiseptic microbicide that can be used for wound cleaning. If you buy it at a drug store, you will get 10% strength, which is equal to 1% available iodine.

Betadine (and its generic equivalents) is an iodine-based antiseptic used primarily on superficial skin wounds.
Both my ENTdoctors recommended it to me after my sinus surgeries help kill off the pathogens that cause sinus infections.
And both docs told me if I ever got a cold and had yellow mucus to begin adding Betadine to the warm salt nosewashing water will prevent the cold from evolving into a sinus infection. In your case the rinsing will help your antibiotic work better. You want to rinse that nasty snot out of your nose.

I have used Betadine in warm salt water to wash my nose using a neti pot several times to help clear up sinus infections.
Do 4-5 nasal rinse a day when fighting a sinus infection.
If you do not have Betadine go to CVS or Walgreens or any pharmacy.