Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Sinus be gone

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

Sinus be gone

I been told by my e.n.t that I have a sinus infection. He gave me amoxecyllline for ten days the first time he said I had a sinus infection. It seem to help some but my symptoms came back. Last week he gave me levofloxacin because I've been having trouble breathing through my nose. Been taking it for three days but I still feel my sinus swell and still having lots of problems .breathing through my nose. He also told me that I have a deviated septum. My question is. Is this a sinus problem do I need surgery or could this be treated . I had sinus problems in the past but never like this. P.s I do have seasonal asthma but it doesn't feel like asthma.please help i'm desperate.
I had that too--deviated septum -- and ended up having to have surgery 3 times on my sinuses. perhaps i could have avoided sinus surgery if I had washed my nose every day.

ANYONE & EVERYONE with sinus issues has got to rinse their nose with warm salt water every day--maybe even 2-3 times per day at first. Uo to 5 times per day with a sinus infection. It will allow your antibiotic to work better.

if you make daily saline nasal rinsing a part of your normal routine you will
breathe better, feel better and your life will improve.
One nasal rinse clears out so much mucus - especially if you are
also taking the guaifenesin and drinking warm tea or warm water. And using the Xlear
natural nasal spray.
First wash your nose with warm salt water using a neti pot. Do this several times a day .Then follow the rinsing with
a spray called Xlear.
The Xlear Nasal Spray line contains xylitol, purified water, salt, and grapefruit seed extract as a preservative. Using xylitol in the spray make it a hyper-osmotic
solution which helps pull moisture toward it. This action keeps the nasal passages and sinuses moist for a much longer time than saline alone. Xylitol is the ingredient that sets this product apart. Safe & non-addicting.

http://www.xlear.com/

I am so used to nosewashing now that for me it's no big deal. it's like brushing my teeth
or washing my face or taking a shower.
I can't even think of NOT doing it at least once a day.

REGULAR NOSE RINSING also restores the cilia
which are THE MICROSCOPIC HAIRS IN OUR RESPIRATORY TRACT & the natural cleaners of the nose.
But to have continuing effects you must do it daily.

I also think giving up dairy is important. Dairy is
a mucus-producing food plus it's a cancer promoter.
so for better sinus health/allergy relief - I say do this :

1. wash you nose every single day with warm salt water - at least once . . .
2. use Xlear 2x a day after nose washing . . . .
3 take guaifenesin every day .. . .
4. no dairy . . .

IF YOU DO THOSE  4 THINGS FOR ONE MONTH I BET YOU'LL
BE FINE. BUT YOU HAVE TO BE CONSISTENT AND NOT TAKE ANY DAYS OFF.
ACTUALLY YOU'LL BE A LOT BETTER IN 2 WEEKS BUT DO THESE THINGS
FOR ONE MONTH AND SEE HOW GOOD YOU FEEL--!!

The Benefits of nose washing :
1. When you irrigate, the hypertonic saline (salt water) acts as a solvent and washes
the mucus crusts and other debris from you nose.
2. The higher salt concentration pulls fluid out of the swollen membranes and
shrinks them. This decongests and improves air flow into your nose. The sinus
passages begin to open.
3. Studies have also shown that high concentration salt water and an alkaline
irrigation (baking soda) improves nasal membrane cell function (mucociliary flow
of mucus debris).
Thanks,  I did started rincing and also do saline drops. It seems to help. Again thanks for the Imfo, take care.
you are welcome. something else you need is guaifenesin.You want your mucus moist & thin so it can run down the throat or out the nose and not be thick.

you want THIN MUCUS AT ALL
TIMES.  I take guaifenesin every single day and I drink LOTS of water.
I have taken it daily since 1995. I used to take it twice a day and now I take it once a day - 2 400 mg capsules once a day.

guaifenesin has no side effects and is even safe for children. It is marketed for respiratory mucus problems and is available without prescription in various strengths.
something my My 2nd ENT said to me - he sat me down and said : "I'm going to give you the keys to the kingdom:  Control the mucus.  Mucus is caustic and it creates inflammation if it lingers in your system".  
And he told me to take guaifenesin - he also told me "guaifenesin fights inflammation by adding water to mucus". you can buy it in the usa at any drug store - the brand name is "Mucinex". I buy the ultra pure kind on-line
from
http://medvitamins.com/