Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Sinus infection for 3 yrs-need surgery?

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

Sinus infection for 3 yrs-need surgery?

I have had a sinus infection for at least 3 years.  MRIs every 1-2 years show "extensive abnormal signal throughout the frontal sinus on the left and involving some of the ethmoid air cells on the left consistent with inflammatory changes."

My symptoms are constant left nostril stuffiness, a feeling like I have wax in my left ear, even though I don't, and some noise in my left ear.  These symptoms are the least of my medical problems having 24/7 migraines which often get severe.  3 years ago I went through about 3-4 antibiotics which none of them helped.  But I'm wondering if I need some additional treatment including surgery since I've had it for so long and am wondering if I'm facing some permanent condition otherwise?
If you've had this for three years, I would say it looks to be a permanent issue that you need to speak with an EMT about. If I were you I would see a couple of them and get two different opinions and see what, if anything, can be done.
Hi Nicole,
I appreciated your response.  Thanks so much.  I have seen an ENT specialist since I posted who informed me that I have asymptomatic chronic sinusitus.  The nasal stuffiness is really from my deviated septum which she said she could perform surgery, but it would only allow me to breath a little bit easier.  

My obvious hearing loss needs to be tested and pursued further as some serious damage could be occurring from another cause other than if it's from aging hearing loss.  And the noise in my ear is very common as people get older.  So I was wrong about the problems being from a sinus infection which I did have 3 years ago.  

But you are absolutely right to get different opinions because the first ENT doctor I saw 3 years ago thought that I needed sinus surgery, but couldn't be sure that it would help me.  The next ENT doctor I saw 3 years ago said that she could do the surgery, but it wouldn't help me at all.  I was afraid of getting another fraudulent surgery opinion again.
Nasal stuffiness from deviated septum I have also. ENT DR. SAID..most people after a certain age get a deviated septum...I'm mid 70's..now isn't the time I want a deviated septum, really.
My best results come from using a neti pot.
www.neilmed.com, IT REALLY HELPS. ..that will drain the fluid out of the sinus and help with headache/pressure/BREATHING.Migraine headaches..you can ask your doctor for gabapentin which is for neuralgia of face..could help with head pain. There is no 'GUARANTEE" that sinus surgery works for all.Noise in your ear as you get older? Yes, but if it's shwooshing sound you need to see a neurologist...I saw one also and that's the first thing he asked when  I said "my ears ring & ache"..DO YOU HEAR SWISHING SOUNDS, HE ASKED..I SAID "NO" JUST RINGING..HE REPLIED THAT'S NOT A PROBLEM.. (THAT WAS NY PRES. HOSPITAL/NYORK./NEUROLOGIST.there is a procedure called balloon surgery which is not invasive like sinus surgery...not bloody mess. Google it...that may be my next option. I've been on all meds, antibi's. tests, mri's, cat scans.  However, ct scans show more of the sinus than an mri...I've had many done and was told that ct scan shows more than mri. Ct scan is like your body getting hit with a bomb . GET A NETI POT...SEE HOW THAT WORKS AND GET ON WEB AND SURF FOR OTHERS WHO HAVE SAME PROBLEM.
GOOD LUCK.
Thanks for your comments.  I didn't know that a deviated septum was common as you get older.  I do have a Netipot and haven't used it much, but should start now.  I always hate the time to wash it out--and I have  a LOT of other medical chores since I had a stroke 3 years ago.  

And I do not have swishing in my ears.  

I did have a CT scan when I first started with a horrible and very different migraine from any that I had ever had before.  My totally inept doctor at the time just thought that the sinus infection was the cause.  But it turned out to be the beginning of my carotid artery dissection stroke.  Every doctor I've seen since--pulmonologist, neurologists, ENT doctors have all said that a sinus infection couldn't possibly give me the severe migraines 24/7.

You are absolutely right that the CT scan is like getting hit by a bomb.  For one thing, you get a TON of radiation and it sends dye through your kidneys which led to kidney failure in my case after the additional CT scans from my stroke. My doctor at the time totally ignored it and let me get additional CT scans and take meds that damaged by kidneys further.

BTW, I am now 59 years old and feel like I'm at least 85 years old.
Migraines..ask your doctor for gabapentin which is used for migraines and  facial neuralgia. After a few pills my ear pain went away..but I got swollen ankles..so I stopped. Pain isn't intense at all now/achy
Sara (my favorite name is Sara)  we have no choice but to try their advice. CT scan can be with or w/out dye..depends on what dr. is looking for. I WISH I WAS 59YRS. OLD...I'LL BE 75 IN NOVEMBER...AND I BEAT YOU..."I FEEL LIKE A 100YRS. OLD. This sinus/allergy, whatever is pulling me down and makes life horrible. I can't do for myself what I use to do..shopping for long hours..cleaning windows, etc. I hate being tormented with this allergy/sinus problem.
Tom. a.m.I have another (stopped counting doc) appt. with UMDNJ,Newark,NJ>
for another opinion on my cough, sinus, facial numbness, nostrils burning..off balance. I've not been going out since all this began over a year.I'm hoping that I get some type of diagnosis..anything. No one has diagnosed my problem yet. I'll check in tom. and let u know if I get a final diagnosis. Personally, I think I should be getting "allergy shots"...as meds haven't worked...NETI POT...I JUST DID AGAIN...IT'S THE BEST HELP OF ALL...REMEMBER "NEVER" US TAP WATER..DISTILLED OR BOIL AND REFRIGERATE WHEN NEEDED...SARA, GO BACK TO THE NETI POT AND ASK DOC FOR GABAPENTIN...IT'S FOR PAIN.
GOOD LUCK...MORE TOMORROW..