Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Sinus infections due to lake water sinus douches

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

My friends and I live on the lake all summer. Occasionally, activities (diving, skiing falls, etc) result in lakewater being forced into the sinus. (I know when it happens.)  About 6 hours later sinus pressure builds, with drainage, stuffy nose and sinus headache. It generally takes 2-3 days to for it to pass. Have tried zyrtec and allegra with minor symptom improvement. I don't believe this is an alergy (allergy) as much as it is simply lake organisims growing in a nice dark, warm place.

Is there some kind of nasal/sinus flush I could use to clear out the sinuses??  Saline flush?  Diluted peroxide flush?  Diluted clorine flush???  Seems like I need to neutralize the bacteria without burning my sinuses.  Need suggestions for the next time it hits.
a saline nose spray would help flush out some of the water, but you would be better off using nose plugs.  i know...sort of geeky, but more effective.
it hit me 8hrs after my sinuses got thoroughly flushed water skiing on an inland lake in MI.  i used Afrin with immediate results that quickly disappeared only to make it significantly worse.  could not breath through nose and painful on my ears to swallow.  luckily it didn't affect my throat too much.  it took a day to improve and i followed with a saline sinus rinse from a lcal drg store which created modest improvement.  However, 5 days later, my upper sinuses are still in bad shape.  Off to the doctor for a closer look.  Hope it didn't evovle into a sinus infection.  I'm definitely getting a nose plug next time i go skiing or tubing.  
I have the same problem when I get home after being in the water and getting it in my nose and ears .. Is the nose plug the answer ??? Has anyone  got suggestions ??
I'm looking for solutions too!  I totally cannot breathe out of my nose about 6-8 hours after I've been on the lake (Falls Lake, NC) wake boarding.  The first time, I couldn't take it and went to the doctor... he prescribed a Z-pack... which had little or no effect on me.  I just had to bear thru it and it eventually got a little better. Then we went out again, and even worse this time!  The doctor prescribed Avelox (sp?) which is supposedly much stronger... I just got the Rx filled today, so we will see how it works.  I am still miserable... can't breathe out my nose and it constantly drips!  Anyone have a solution... nose plugs is all I'm hearing and I really don't want to do that!  I may try to just pinch my nose before I wipeout on the wake board!!
I noticed a similar sinus problem after taking showers in my home which has well water. It happened after I first moved in and it took me a while to make the connection. About six hours after taking a shower my head starts to hurt. I have been searching the internet and this is the first time I have found anything written about, which is similar to my problem. I have had my water tested and everything appears okay.

I take showers at the GYM and at my summer house with no problems
From what your indicating, there must be some Organisms it the well .

I think I will follow the Clorine shock treatment and see what happens. Thanks
Here's a simply solution; chew gum, especially gum that is high int Xylitol, which freshens your breath by killing bacteria.

Also health stores have stuff that is like a natural antibiotic, without the bad effects of killing off your good bacteria. Garlic, Grapefruit Seed Extract, (GSE) Cinnamon, Oregano Oil, etc... Lots of natural things out there that work, some you don't even have to leave home for, if you cook. You could ingest one of these after being on the water. I can tolerate garlic, even like it if it's dry, but not sure about oregano, maybe just a drop in the mouth.

JD, if you have a chronic problem, I am not sure you want to be taking round after round of antibiotics, they might be like the cause treating the symptom. You could have a fungal infection, which, if you want to know more, google it, or look at some of my posts on this site regarding people with chronic sinus/ear infections.
i am in same situation as the guy from falls lake   my  sinus conditon has stemmed from  windsurfing  crashes resulting in lakewater driving up  into  my  nose real  hard ( though i have never had a problem with this in the past  in other lakes etc.  )  I  am getting  older  and wonder if  the muscles  or membranes around  or that protect the sinus openings  are weakening?  at any  rate  i am into  my  second  week of  burning  nose  draining  fluids  and  scratchy  throat.  We  supposidly have very clean  lake water  but i am certain there is something in the water  that  is causing this  irritation of my  nasal  membranes   i  have just finished  3 day  course of  zpac  and it is supposed to last  for ten   no  dent in  my  condition  yet   though  i can  now  finally  taste  what i am eating  though  taste buds are not 100 percent yet  either   i have never been one to want to or have to wear nose plug   but i will not  take any chances  once i  get rid of this stuff!!!     rj    piedmont  nc.