Sinus issues possibly dental causes?
I have been having stuffed up sinuses for a quite some time.  I've always had sinus issues.  I started getting facial pain this past August, chalked it up to sinus issues.  Saw an ent in Sept, gave me flonase and sinus wash.  Did a CT scan of my sinuses in Oct., diagnosis was unilateral sinus disease.  I have a blocked maxillary right sinus.  He didn't push surgery, but is leaving it out there as an option.  However, I still get headaches, facial pain, and at times just feel generally fatigued and a little "foggy". Just saw an urgent care doc who thought I had an infection up there.  He gave me prednisone and Augmenten 875.  I also had a root canal done a year and half ago, but didn't get it capped due to finances.  It's my third right side maxillary molar.  The second one, right next to it, has a large filled cavity.  I am pretty sure that one is cracked underneath the filling.  I am convinced I have an infection either under my root canal or the other cracked molar.  They are both sore when I bite, but no other obvious issues.  No pus or blood, not throbbing.  I am freaking out though!!!  I am so worried I've let it go too long and have a serious infection!  I have a dental appt this week, so hopefully will get some reassurance.  But, could my blocked maxillary sinus be just from tooth issues?  I have not had the best dental care and practices, just due to lack of insurance.  Clearly, I need to be more vigilint and make my teeth and oral care a priority.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hi Molly,
It's not unusual for a dental infection to leak into the maxillary sinuses and cause a sinus infection.  Antibiotics will work for the dental infection, because it is tissue, but less so for a sinus infection, which is caused by infected mucus, not infected tissue.  The best way to deal with the sinus infection part is with a Neilmed Sinus Rinse from walgreens or cvs about $13
Thank you for the information.  I do have a neilmed sinus kit, but I also have a deviated septum and a concha bullosa so rinsing that side of the sinus doesn't always work too well.  Thanks again for your response.