Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Swollen sinuses and face

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

Swollen sinuses and face

Every morning I awake with a very swollen face. I've tried propping my head up with pillows but that didn't stop the extreme eyelid swelling and puffy face ( cheeks, nose,lips ). I now sleep sitting up and although not as bad , I still awake with a very swollen face. I feel more post nasal dripping during the night sleeping up and awake sometimes during the night coughing. Is there a medical term for such facial swelling during sleep and the build up of mucus in my head. During the day it clears up by once I go to bed even sitting in an upward position, my face swells up. I've tried my prescription and over the counter remedies to no avail.
Facial swelling isn't something to play with. I dont have any experience with it, so the only thing I can.suggest is that you follow up with your doctor.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The swollen face could be due to an allergen, where there could be an element of itching also. It could also be due to kidney disorders where there is puffiness of the eyes. Cardiac disorders are likely to cause puffiness, this may be accompanied by breathlessness ad chest pain. Liver disorders can cause a swollen face, there may be accompanying jaundice. Other causes are like hypoprotienemia, dental abscess, sinusitis, trauma, mumps  and nutritional deficiencies. I would advise you to consult your primary care physician for evaluation of facial swelling. He will ask for blood tests, urine analysis, an x ray and an ultra sonogram of the abdomen. Sometimes he may ask for an Intravenous pyelogram and a CT scan.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.