Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
Why does the Valsalva Maneuver help alleviate my sinus pressure?

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

I have had 2 sinus surgeries with no improvement in symptoms.  I do NOT get congestion, but rather chronic inflammation, blurry vision, facial and nose-bridge pressure, and lethargy/brain fog.  

When I hold my mouth shut, pinch my nose, and blow outward (Valsalva Maneuver) the pressure goes away, I can think straight, and my vision improves.

I understand that this is reducing the pressure in my sinus cavities.  The question is: Why?

My life is going downhill fast and I'm trying to figure out why I keep having sinus issues.  ENT doctors are of no help and attribute it to allergies, even though I tested negative to everything!  

What is causing my facial pain (with negative CT) and why does the Valsalva Maneuver work?  I am so depressed with this condition because I can't think straight due to the never-ending pressure.  It is also worse after I eat.  Could this be mucus based?
I should also mention that I am dizzy ALL THE TIME and my ears + inner ear have been checked out and are fine.  I know the feeling of sinus pressure/pain/infection and am positive this is it.  Would an infection of the ethmoid (behind the eyes) sinus cavities give these symptoms?  I do have some fluids behind my eye, but the ENT says it's nothing to worry about and would not cause these symptoms (facial pain, pain behind the eyes, dizziness, etc.)

Thanks!
Hi there, I was wondering if you ever got this figured out? Did you ever try decongestants? Sometimes having poor eutchechian tubes could be te reason for the pressure, when you blow air through your nose like that you are relieving the pressure.

The question is why do you have fluid behind your eyes at all? If you haven't, try seeing an eye doctor about that, get a second opinion.

I was dizzy all the time last year and it had nothing to do with my ears. It was actually my neck and I started seeing a Chiropractor for it. It has helped a lot since then! I also cut gluten out of my diet. I also got bad migraines a lot and after doing those two things, they reduced a lot.

Do you take any allergy medications or nasal steroid sprays? I always get bad allergies every year in the spring and end up with sinus infections. I use Allegra and Flonase to help, but when all else fails, I use the Zpack. It has been a life saver.
I never figured this out.  My health is still spiraling downward.

What seems to help:
Topical decongestants (oxymetazoline)
Sudafed
Adderall (adderrall)/Dexedrine/Ritalin (I think because they are vasoconstrictors)

I also noticed that my symptoms go away when I fast (no food or drink) for 48 hours.

At first I thought this was caused by food allergies, but the pressure/pain/dizziness returns after drinking distilled water, so I'm thinking it has something to do with my gut-brain connection.

I don't know what to do anymore.  I am so fatigued all the time.  Nothing works.

I'll be seeing a Chiropractor this week then, if that's what helped you.  I'm going bankrupt trying to get to the bottom of this mess.
Did you see a chiropractor yet, I guess it may be too soon though since you just responded.

It doesn't sound like fun at all and I know how frustrating it feels, you may have a food sensitivity. I had to go gluten free not long ago. Also the pollen lately has been horrible in my area and I've been having a lot of sinus pressure, pain, and dizziness again. It's been a nasty year, my dizziness isn't like it was though. It goes away faster. I just get all congested up and dizzy.

It's different than how I was dizzy before, I was off balance. Allegra has helped. Have you ever used a Neti Pot? Or Saline Nose Spray? I also just learned about lymphatic drainage self massage, if you google it you should be able to find a video. You can actually feel everything draining, it's nice. I also just Kearney about self acupressure for sinus pressure, ear pressure, and dizziness.

I hope you can find answers soon!
I've tried everything.  I have no congestion though, so nothing drains out.  It's just this constant pressure.

I haven't seen a chiro but will do so soon.  I have been so sick and unable to make the appointment.  My parents see me lying there on the floor, sick every day, and do nothing!  WTF!?
When you push down on your face or sinuses, is there any pressure? What did they do for your surgery?

I made a video playlist of natural remedy videos on my YouTube, there are some for sinus pressure. I use the lymphatic and the sinus pressure one a lot and it has been working.

Does anything like nasal sprays or steroid nasal sprays help? I'm wondering if you need to strengthen your sinuses?
If you wanted a link to it let me know or just search for my channel OXtheII should be in my playlists.
Chiropractor did not help.

Surgery was to open the sinus cavities and reduce the turbinates.  The first surgery was excellent, the second seemed like it made things worse, and the third seemed good as well.

I think my problem lies in the second surgeon screwing up something in my cavities.

Whenever I stand up, the pressure is worse.
Whenever I am upside-down I feel normal.
Whenever I eat (even drink water) the pressure comes back, and I'm almost positive it is trapped mucus.

It seems like the second surgery screwed me up royally, possibly for life.  It feels like the opening in my ethmoid sinus cavities is so wide that it's collecting all mucus, rather than not letting mucus get trapped.

Back to the drawing board.

P.S. No steroid sprays, decongestants, etc. work.  Nothing works.  The only thing that has worked so far is about 1 gallon of distilled water mixed with salt packets, and I fire-hose the **** out of my sinuses.  Of course, it comes back moments later, and I'm back in the same head pressure hell I was before using it.

Thanks for the link.
I cannot find you on youtube, if you have a link that would be great.  Thank you.
Here is the playlist, I hope it's helpful!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB-0aCgL1ZOcEfLCOxRpfJ_KJyMxYTseB
Hey!
I know the thread was quite old, but Im studying the subject of sinusitis at the moment for my oral surgery exam and found the comments regarding your sinus issues.
If you still have the problems, maybe check into this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15064067
Hope ur doing better now though!
Very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing :)
Hi, I have a similar issue. My ENT diagnosed me Meniere's Disease. He put me on a low sodium diet and gave me script for perscription blood pressure meds( a diuretic). I don't have high blood pressure. But it saved my life. I was to point so dizzy couldn't walk or stand and my words would slur only sometimes. I have a constant pressure in my ears.  I have been on this diet for a few years and I have been great. If I start to feel dizzy or pressure I take a diuretic.  Maybe you have something similar. You can try it out before going to dr.  Just monitor sodium and keep low for several days and you can even find an over counter diuretic to try. Try it and see if this helps. My dr recommends under 1500 mg of sodium a day
I hope you find answers soon