Sinus Infections/Disorders Community
are you washing your nose ?

Sinus infection also called sinusitis, is inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that may occur when having an infection, allergy or autoimmune issues. Discuss topics including causes, symptoms and treatments for sinusitis.

are you washing your nose ?

All you people with sinus and or allergy problems please try saline nasal rinsing.
It is so easy, safe ,cheap and effective.
I have washed my nose every day since 1995. I have had only 3 colds in the last 17 years.
nasal washing works as a preventative for colds. If you have a cold or a sinus infection, nose washing will help you recover faster. It will help your antibiotic work better.
one teacher i worked with in 1998 thought she had a brain tumor -- her head hurt her so bad all the time. i thought
she sounded congested so i asked her if she ever washed her nose with a neti pot and she said no.
i told her i had an extra neti pot and could loan her one if she wanted to try it.
so she did borrow an extra one i had and loved it so much she bought her own neti pot and several others that she gave
away as gifts. oh i also gave my cousin's husband--a fireman--a neti pot
because he has bad allergies and he totally loved it. about a year and a half ago my friend
donna was complaining about her sinuses - we were out to lunch with her friend, carolyn. carolyn began talking
about how SHE uses the neti pot and i said oh i have many neti pots and have used them for years.
donna asked a few more questions and i said i think i have an extra
neti pot i --let me look and if so I will give it to you. so i gave her an extra one i had and a week later she called me
saying how delighted she was with it. i forgot all about this but when i saw donna last [ right before christmas ]
she mentioned to me how she still uses the neti pot i gave her and that she takes it with her when she travels.
i just do not want people to suffer like i did when there is something so wonderful, cheap
and safe that will do you a world of good.
this is wery true.im born in country of croatia on adriatic sea wich have big concentration of salt in sea and as kid i swim and dive all summer from june till october allmoust every day. in this period of my life i have never had any problem with sinuses.. after my 20birthday i move to live in belgium and now last 5jears i have nothing else then problems with sinuses.. now im 40jears...i miss all summer swim in the sea..and diving even more= much more...so you see sea+salt are good for nose and i use it too and would recomend it to everybody...!!  and i use natty potty too..
thanks for answering. i know nasal washing helps. i am the living proof that it does.
Concern about some deadly infection (I don't recall the details) was in the news (main-line and channel network programs - saw it on NBC and Fox) can be caused by sinus flushing (netipot).  The problem is some tap water contains a microbe (0r something) that if injected into the sinus can start the infection.  The solution is to use purified, or boiled, or even distilled (bottle) water.  I occasionally use a neti pot, but not often. I did not fine it helped much when I used it every night, but when working in a dusty or pollen environment (mostly this is in the summer time) I think a sinus flush could help remove some of that "crap" from the sinus area, seems that should help some.

I continue to have swollen sinus problems, mostly when lying down, e.g., sleeping.  A shot of one of the over-the-counter 12 hour sprays before bedtime gives me at least 8 hours of relief.  When on my feet, I don't have much of a problem.

I have been using a Zicam  brand spray that can be used several time a day.  I think it helps some, but it hasn't stopped the problem, nor has sinus flushing.

I write mostly because of the warning to use sterile water for the sinus flush.
yes there have been warnings about ameobeas in the water - it's very rare and happens mostly in the south- so use distilled water...for nose rinsing.
if you make daily saline nasal rinsing a part of your normal routine you will
breathe better, feel better and your allergies will calm down.
One nasal rinse clears out so much mucus - especially if you are
also taking the guaifenesin and drinking warm tea or warm water. And using the Xlear natural nasal spray.

I am so used to nosewashing now that for me it's no big deal. it's like brushing my teeth or washing my face or taking a shower.
I can't even think of NOT doing it at least once a day.

REGULAR NOSE RINSING also restores the cilia
which are THE MICROSCOPIC HAIRS IN OUR RESPIRATORY TRACT & the natural cleaners of the nose.
But to have continuing effects you must do it daily.

I also think giving up dairy is important. Dairy is
a mucus-producing food plus it's a cancer promoter.
so for better sinus health/allergy relief - I say do this :

1. wash you nose every single day with warm salt water - at least once . . .
2. use Xlear 2x a day after nose washing . . . .
3 take guaifenesin every day .. . .
4. no dairy . . .

IF YOU DO THOSE  4 THINGS FOR ONE MONTH I BET YOU'LL
BE FINE. BUT YOU HAVE TO BE CONSISTENT AND NOT TAKE ANY DAYS OFF.
ACTUALLY YOU'LL BE A LOT BETTER IN 2 WEEKS BUT DO THESE THINGS
FOR ONE MONTH AND SEE HOW GOOD YOU FEEL--!!