Skin Cancer Community
Basal Cell? Help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Basal Cell? Help!

Hi there,
I have had this growth under my eye for about 4 yrs for sure. I thought it was a pimple at first and then it was flat for a really long time. In the past year it raised and seems to have gotten bigger. I asked my doctor to refer me to a dermatologist over a year ago, it took 10 months before I could get in to see the derm. When I showed him it he didn't seem concerned. I don't really like how it looks and asked if it could be removed and he said it would look worse if it were removed. Since then it seems to kinda scab over and right now it has a groove in the middle of it. It is skin coorish sometimes pinkish. I have red hair and fair skin, freckels, blue eyes. I have had many bad sun burns as a child and when I was younger I had stupidly used tanning beds before. I am still worried and am wondering if a dermatologist can tell if something is cancer by just looking at it?? Or if I should get a second opinion? Also, he did notice a spot on my shoulder that he told me is basal cell carcinoma and did biopsy it and it came back normal.  Yet he still prescribed me Aldera?
I would get a second opinion.  Scabbing over is definitely a warning sign.  I had a mole on my neck that scabbed over and would get scaley and it turned out to be basal cell.  Let your derm know that it's more important to you to know whether it is than what it will look like to have it removed, and also tell him/her that it is scabbing over and how much it has changed in the last year or so.