Skin Cancer Community
Dark Colored Brown Bruise-Like Itchy Spot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

9089563?1367884165
Hello.

Many months ago, I had a pain in my upper left shoulder blade and it appeared to be a bruise.  I let the bruise go and it has been on back for months now.  It becomes itchy randomly throughout the day, and sometimes doesn't bother me.  There is no pain associated with it, just discoloration, and itchy symptoms.  I do workout on a regular basis, and am not sure if this is causing a reoccurring bruise, but I haven't had pain in that area since the initial bruise.  Could this be a hematoma? Or a type of skin cancer? I have attached a picture.

Thank you for your time.
From your symptoms, one possibility is of notalgia parasthetica. It is usually associated with paresthesia, pain or hyperpigmentation. I suggest you to consult a dermatologist and get a skin biopsy of the skin scrapings done to confirm the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present? The bruise may be attributed to trauma to the skin, possibly from an infection and underlying condition. Hematoma or collection of blood outside the blood vessels may resolve after a few days. This  may be infectious in nature or from irritation, allergic reaction. If this persists, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor directly for proper evaluation. Additional diagnostic tests may need to be done. Take care and do keep us posted.

Dr. Santos: Thank you for your response.  There are no other symptoms present except for the spot being itchy periodically throughout the day.  The spot has been present for months so I do not believe it will fade in a few days.

Dr. Bhupinder Kaur: Thank you for your response.  I researched notalgia parasthetica on Wikipedia and that does sound very similar to what I am experiencing.  I have an appointment scheduled for further examination and will update you after the appointment.