Skin Cancer Community
Dysplastic naevus Confused!!!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Dysplastic naevus Confused!!!!!!

Dear Volunteers and blogers.

I was diagnosed with 5 dysplastic naevus in the US, by shaved biopsy. I was suggested to get a re-existion ( Conservative) because of the moderate aspect of the dysplasie" moderate cytology atypia" My question is can the pathologist made a mistake and diagnose me with DN where they are actually begin; I 'm dark Italian feature black hair. I am so scared now but when I saw 4 others dermatologist they all told me that DN are rare and more so in dark feature individual like myself, so I don't know who to believe anymore. I decided to get my slides from the Dr and have them anelyzed with different pathologist.
I'm so confused because some website said that having more then 5 or more DN increased the risk of melanoma and others said that DN are not cancer or pre-cancer and are only a marker of risk.

WHO TO BELIEVED?

J
My understanding is that they are not cancer nor pre-cancer but can indicate increased risk. Try not to worry, it doesn't sound like you have melanoma but they do want to take a bit more area to make 100% they are right.
Let us know how the second opinion goes.
Dysplastic Nevi can be totally benign .. it just means some cells are beiginning to change and *could* manifest into melanoma or are predisposed to do so possibly.  That's my understanding of them.  I also had atypical cells show up in my urine once and it turned out to be atypical urethrial Inflammation cells!  100% benign!!!  Also in my thyroid .. .atypical thyroid nodules via biopsy and 100% totally benign.

Hope this helps relate to your concerns along with the post above.

C~
very very early melanoma 6/07
partial thyroidectomy 1/07