Skin Cancer Community
Fingers peeling after Strep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Fingers peeling after Strep

About 26 days ago I woke up with a severe sore throat and I took some anti-inflammatories to ease the pain. After 13 days of ongoing pain that wouldn't go away (I noticed because the pain was still there after I stopped taking anti-inflammatories), I got a rapid swab test and got diagnosed with Strep throat. I got 10 days of penicillin and the pain went away after 5 days. However, on the fourth day of penicillin I started to notice that my ring fingers and middle fingers were starting to feel dry and scaly. Eventually, small white bubbles formed on my fingers skin and eventually erupted (no pain, no itch) and my fingers started peeling. This eventually spread to all my fingers and it seems to be starting to affect my thumbs as I'm starting to notice white bubbles on my right thumb.

I googled up my problem and I read that after Strep infection some people develop Scarlet fever and eventually develop skin peeling (desquamation) on the fingers. But the problem is that I never got Scarlet fever because I never got a rash; I did get Strep for almost 2 weeks so I was wondering if that may be the cause.

Help me please, can one develop desquamation without developing Scarlet fever?  (only strep infection). Or even Scarlet fever with no rash? Also, when I had Strep I had the tendency to self-induce vomit by using my ring and middle fingers, could that generalized the strep infection towards my fingers which still lasts until now?

If one has recently contracted streptococcal pharyngitis, the peeling skin may be a residual effect of the illness. It's common for the bacterial infection to result in flaking or peeling skin from one to three weeks following the initial outbreak of the illness. Usually the peeling is concentrated close to the fingertips.

Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin. During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your response doctor!

I started using a cream called CVS Dry Skin Therapy and after 5 days my fingers calmed down. However, after using the lotion for about a week, I stopped using it and 3 days later the top part of my palms started showing the same symptoms as my fingers did initially (tiny white bubbles that eventually erupt and result in peeling, no pain, no itch).

I disregarded it and thought that I had to continue using the lotion but yesterday I noticed a circular red rash on my upper inner thigh with small red bumps. Now my complete attention is onto that rash and I know I'm always overly worried but I just want to live my life normally.

I noticed there was a Dermatology forum in this website so I posted there, if you would like to read about my thigh rash (with pictures included) here's the link:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/Upper-inner-thigh-circular-red-rash/show/1896374

Thanks again doc.