Skin Cancer Community
Have you ever had a suspicious mole removed? Worried..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

I'm a 24 year old male with not a lot of sun exposure in my history. No Melanoma in my family.

I went to the dermatologist about a spot on my head. That turned out to be nothing, but then she took notice of this mole on my back.

I've fairly positive it has been there for a long time, but I'm not positive. I don't look at my back that often.

She said it look pretty suspicious to her. It was almost black and the size of a pencil eraser. So she removed it to be tested.

I'm SO worried. I tried to talk to her about it but she was very shot and not reassuring. She just kept repeating that it was suspicious and that it should be tested and to not worry until I hear the results. Almost like she already knew it was Melanoma or something.

This has me so incredibly scared.

How often to suspicious moles come back as Melanoma? What is your story?
Tags: Melanoma, mole, suspicious mole, Skin Cancer, mole removal
Two months ago, I had a moderate dysplastic nevus removed. I went in to have my moles check, specifically for two that were darker and slightly larger than the rest of my moles. She biopsied one and I got a call a week later telling me what it was moderate dysplastic nevus, also referred to as a atypical mole. There are three types, mild moderate and severe. They don't like them to be referred to as pre-cancerous, but someone with a moderate or severe dysplastic nevus have a higher risk of getting melanoma. This means more SPF, less sun exposure, etc.

There are different ways to get melanoma aside from sun or UV exposure, at least from what I have read online (I love wikipedia). Don't automatically assume that you have melanoma, I am sure she is short with you perhaps to keep you from worrying. I didn't get a lot of information until AFTER my results. I have a second mole that is the SAME as my other mole that was removed, but they didn't seem worried to remove it even if it came back as the same. I just have to make sure to limit my uv exposure.

If you have several severe sun burns in your adolescence, that can increase your risk also. I hope some of this helps. I learned most of my information on wikipedia.

Good luck on your results, don't be too worried!!
I hope you have heard the outcome by now. If not, please try not to worry until you hear back for sure. Many, many, time suspiscuous moles are removed and they are not melanoma.

Good on you for getting yourself checked out though.