Skin Cancer Community
How bad is twice-a-week fluoroplex 1% regime?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Greetings all!

I am a 50-year old, otherwise healthy, male who is currently paying for years of poor solar hygiene in my youth. I have been going to a dermatologist 3 or 4 times a year for about a dozen years now...mostly getting AK frozen off, but I have had a couple basals or squamouses cut out and biopsied over the years, and I did have one melanoma about 8 years ago that was thankfully caught and removed at a very early stage. My relatively new dermatologist (I had to switch when my regular guy retired) recommended I try to get rid of some of the sun damaged skin on my face and neck with a course of fluoroplex 1% applied just twice weekly for not more than 8 weeks (he didn't specify the minimum amount of weeks).

He seemed to imply that that dosage wouldn't have as horrific consequences as other doses, but before I start this, I'd like to know if this is likely to be true. My Dad and my mother-in-law had horrible experiences with Efudex, and I have seen photos on the web that scare the heck out of me. Is a twice-a-week, for 6-8 weeks, regimen of fluoroplex 1% appreciably more tolerable than heavier doses (or other products, like Efudex)? Or are those hideous photos I see when I search for 'efudex' or 'fluoroplex' in Google images what I can realistically expect?

Thanks!

Sundamaged