Skin Cancer Community
Just been diagnosed with Squamous cell of the hand (between the knuckle...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Just been diagnosed with Squamous cell of the hand (between the knuckles)

Hello all,

My husband has been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the hand (in between his knuckles). What we thought was a wart was removed by his GP.  My research has shown that SCC in the hand is quite dangerous and much more prone to reoccurance and metasteses than other cancers. Athough the excision looks complete it extends only 0.3mm from the deep margin. All the articles I see recommed 4mm margins. The area where his cancer was is so bony there would be no possibility of doing 4mm unless you get deep into the bone.

We need to see a specialist but would like to have some understanding of what the options are for SCC of the hand, especially if the cancer is on the bony parts between the knuckles.

Please, please help us.

An
Tell the doctor that as you understand it, the excision was only .3 mm from the deep margin, and things you have read say it should be 4mm.  First, check that this is true (you're just a layperson reading articles, after all, and this will be a specialist you are asking), and then if it is, ask about options like radiation therapy or chemo and whether they are indicated.