Skin Cancer Community
Lentiginous Melanocytic Nevus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Lentiginous Melanocytic Nevus

I was just diagnosed with Lentiginous Melanocytic Nevus on 3 moles that were removed surgically. 6 months ago I had a melanoma (diagnosed through a scoop biopsy, followed by surgery), then a punch biopsy on a second mole that was compound melanocytic nevus with architectural disorder and moderate to severe cytologic atypia, (followed by another surgery). Now 3 more surgical biopsy's with the diagnoses above. I can not find these 3 words grouped together on any web site. What exactly is this and how does it differ? I was told no further surgery is required on these last 3. However I have at least 12 more moles my dermatolgist plans for the same surgical removal. Not fun! I would prefer a scoop or punch, why would I want to have surgery for the diagnosis. Help - I am stressed out over all this. I have over 200 moles!
Tags: scared, help
Melanoma is one word, that is a black mole where the cells become hyperactive. It is a cancerous mole.
Lentigo is a flat, darkened area that typically, by itself is not cancerous, but can be if connected to, or containing, melanoma cells.
A nevus (or nevi - pleural) is your typical, skin colored mole.  However, it can be a "pigmented nevi" and the pigmentation containing melanoma type cells.

It sounds like what they're saying with: "compound melanocytic nevus with architectural disorder and moderate to severe cytologic atypia".  Is that you have a nevus with melanoma type cells that are not arranged in any specific order and it's not your typical melanoma.

The other one?  Lentiginous Melanocytic Nevus, would be a lentigo or flat pigmented area, surrounding the nevus that has melanoma cells in it.

These are "clusters" of words.  You are not apt to find it specifically in any medical dictionary.