Skin Cancer Community
Lung nodules or melanoma mets?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Lung nodules or melanoma mets?

Hello, I’m an Italian guy, 31 yo.
By accident, more than 3 months ago i underwent a thoracic CT scan that shown 3 little nodules in my lungs.
Two nodules were 5mm and another one was 7mm. Two of them( including the 7mm one) look calcified and an expert thoracic surgeon who had a look at the scan ( i asked a second opinion, i am followed by a pulmonologist) said they were not suspicious but to follow the rescanning protocol time by time.

After the first scan results my pulmonologist wanted me to rescan in a 3 months time. I did the second scan 3 months ago and there was no change. I know 3 months it’s very little time to tell if those nodules are something to be concerned of.
Before doing the second scan i also had a bronchoscopy which turned out to be negative: the bronchoscope didnt see anything else to report.
As my nodules are peripheral they did some washes (in the nodules direction) and sent the samples to get tested for bacterias, cancer cells and everything turned out to be fine…the cytological test was negative too…
I tested positive to the Klebsiella pneumoniae ( which as far as i know its not responsible of nodules growth…) though.

Of course i am panicking , even after the news that after three months the nodules were unchanged.
I am picturing all the possible scenarios and I am now thinking that those could be mets from primary tumors which are somewhere else and I am trying to figure out, if there is a tumor somewhere else where this might be.
Both my thoracic scan reports also say ” abdomen portion visualized free of pathologies”…A full blood work turned out to be fine ( I know that blood work do not show cancers though).

One thing that is concerning me the most is a mole on my shoulder. I have many moles…my skin is very pale…
I am scared to death i have a metastatic melanoma and those nodules in my lungs are sign of this disease that has already spread.

I know the only way is to go to a specialist but i have to wait to get a referral and the whole process can take a while.

I am really having hard time picturing all the possible scenarios and feel my life falling apart day by day.

my question is : "If they were metastases would have grown in 3 months? or it is too little amount of time to have any change?"

That mole, as far as i can see, is unchanged..at least from the last three months when i started monitoring.

Thank you in advance for any answer i might get.

A.

Metastasis can occur in little time for invasive cancers. For the mole, you can get a dermatologist examine it under the dermatoscope. Melanoma has an irregular border, is asymmetrical,uneven color and increasing in size. If you notice changes in the mole's color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have it checked if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.