Skin Cancer Community
Melanoma cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Melanoma cancer

My daughter in law who is 33 had very invasive surgery to her face last year early 2012 to remove several basil cell carcinova cancers.  This was very traumatic for her but it seemed that it was successful.

Later on in the year my daughter-in law was told she has Melanoma cancer.  It started with a mole on her back, which was surgically removed, and found to be quite deep.  At the same time they took the lymph nodes in her back nearest to that mole
.
More tests were done, and more surgery two days later, taking lymph nodes from under her arms.  At this stage she was told no more cells were present. We are now in July 2013, and when she went for her regular test, they have put her in hospital to now remove lymph nodes in her chest.  I am writing to you the night before her surgery,
to ask at what stage Melanoma she would be.  She has two young children 10 and 8 and is going through separation and divorce.  We need to know if we have to prepare the children and ourselves regarding her future health and also to get the best support for her well being.

Thanku,
regards
Annie.

Her family history .... father died several years of cancer at the age of 70.
Her mother died from a brain embolism at the age of 40 when my daughter in law was 15.
Her uncle, (mothers brother died of cancer recently at the age of 43.

I can understand your concern. Given the family and medical history of the lymph node involvement, it looks like stage 3 melanoma. It can be NC2. N2c means the melanoma has spread to very small areas of nearby skin (satellite tumors) or has spread to skin lymphatic channels around the tumor (without reaching the lymph nodes). The survival rate for such a melanoma is unfortunately 24-70%. However the good part is that distant metastasis has not occurred.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.