Skin Cancer Community
Melanoma???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Melanoma???

I have a mole that has been on my right hip as long as I can remember. It is about 5-6mm at it biggest section and has a very funny shape, like a arrowhead (kind of). Or maybe a vase turned side-ways -- anyways, It is flat and varying shades of medium brown. It has about 3 small spots of darker color at the border of the posterior side and last week I noticed it had a rough spot that started to bleed when I scratched it. now I have a scab that is 2mm wide though it didn't bleed much.
I have just moved to the Charlotte area and don't have a PCP yet but I do have insurance. What would you advise? I know if I had it removed it would have to be a punch because it is so big. I'm not entirely worried about the scar but it is on my hip just below where my pants band goes. Am I alarmed about nothing?
Any advise would be extremely helpful!! I had a good friend that is a NP in dermatology back in Wilmington,, but I know she would want to look at before deciding and that's a 4-hour drive.
Please help?!
It sounds like it only bled when you scratched it but if it had a rough spot that does count as a change so you should see a doctor.

Good luck and take care.

Good luck and take care.
Sorry. I forgot to say that if your friend was happy to, I'm sure you could skype her and she could take a look at it remotely or even if you took a good photo she might be able to offer you some guidance.

I had a rough spot / raised spot on a mole I had for many years.  The good news is that it tested atypical but they removed it to the margin with success and is history.  I'd have it looked at, and as Pum mentions, have your NP friend take a look @ it electronically as you find a new doc.

That's my 2 cents

C~