Skin Cancer Community
Mohs Surgery, Lower Lip

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

Mohs Surgery, Lower Lip

I had Mohs Surgery on my lower lip 2 months ago for superficially invasive well-differentiated squamous cell carcinoma.  3 layers were removed, post-op size was 2.1 x 1.3 cm. I have been following up with a dentist, an ENT as well as a dermotologist.  My surgeon says he got it all (clean margins).  I was also told by ENT I have allergic rhinitis and I have a bad taste in my mouth, also on lips.  All of this is stressing me because I lost my mother 5 years ago from oral squamous cell carcinoma.  I did smoke, quit before the surgery.  Am I doing everything I can as far as follow-up or do I need to see an oncologist as well?  Is it normal to be so freaked over this?  What are the statistics for a reoccurence?
Hi .. I don't have answers but have had small thyroid cancer so it is normal to feel as you do sometimes.  Then 6 mos later I had an early melanoma appear and have it removed.  It was pretty anxiety ridden 6 mos for me but I"m absolutely fine and it's just a part of my history now and evokes no anxiety at all.

Anytime a new word like Cancer is added to our history, it usually will provoke some anxiety .. and that is normal.  Send me a PM if you'd like .. I can help you some more via PM on ways to work thru the diagnosis symptoms .. not so sure on the stats or anything like that.

The What If's are sometimes the hardest part.

Cheryl
Hi..Thank you for commenting.  I am not new to Cancer.  I had a double mystectomy with a tram reconstruction 8 years ago.  For some reason this cancer scares me more.  I think maybe because I lost my mother to the squamous cell carcinoma.

I need to ask a silly question now.  What is a PM?  I am new to forums.

Thank you again.

Kathy